Is MSG bad for you?

Randomguy

reportedly a bet was placed on a scientist getting published in New England Journal of medicine. The one party meant that a clinical study would be published.The other parties sent a letter that was published saying MSG was "bad" with associated side effects. He won the bet

and a legend was born

*this comes from the Car Talk guys so believe it

By the "reasoning" that it's ok as a seasoning because it's naturally occurring in our bodies, we should be safe drinking salt water since salt and water naturally occur in our bodies.

But a quick Google turns up "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified MSG as a food ingredient that's generally recognized as safe."

On 3/3/2023 at 1:56 PM, groupw said:

I’ve never been to Madison Square Garden. I have no idea 

My wife traded in her Springsteen tickets at MSG for the concert later at East Rutherford, formerly known as the Meadowlands.  But she hopes to get good ones for Citizen's Bank Park too.  I learned years ago that MSG is on top of NY Penn Station.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:21 PM, Scrapr said:

reportedly a bet was placed on a scientist getting published in New England Journal of medicine. The one party meant that a clinical study would be published.The other parties sent a letter that was published saying MSG was "bad" with associated side effects. He won the bet

and a legend was born

*this comes from the Car Talk guys so believe it

I had read that somewhere a while back (not real precise, I know)

I do get a reaction from MSG. My father who worked in Chinese restaurants, didn't like it.  My parents on the rare occasion we would eat in Chinese restaurants (rare because it was costly for a large family), would order and ask MSG not be added to the food.

When a cousin first immigrated to canada and her family stayed in same city for a month while I was continuing my university studies... I learned all sorts of things during the family's cultural shock/adjustment from a a rural area of mainland China.

She told me about wanting MSG.  In fact, they would have a small sandwich bag of it in cupboard. Apparently to her, food was tastier and she didn't find it affected her.  So maybe it's a different chemical composition. I was kind of fascinated in a totally bewildered way.  

• Heart 1