People want us to go to Mars

Road Runner

Also, it is pretty clear that we are mucking the hell up with this planet, we are gonna have to terraform something nearby if we are going to have another place to screw up.

This is exactly the reason I'm hesitant about us visiting any other planets. Until we learn to love and care for the one we know best, we're not ready to drop in on other worlds.

This is exactly the reason I'm hesitant about us visiting any other planets. Until we learn to love and care for the one we know best, we're not ready to drop in on other worlds.

Ok, here is how it works in real life:  

Lots of people don't give a crap if the earth gets polluted or worse

Lots of people kind of care, but won't do a thing about it

Some people care and spend their time bugging the first two groups to no avail

Everybody dies or things just get miserable unless we go to a new planet.

I wish it were different, but it isn't.

Ok, here is how it works in real life:  

Lots of people don't give a crap if the earth gets polluted or worse

Lots of people kind of care, but won't do a thing about it

Some people care and spend their time bugging the first two groups to no avail

Everybody dies or things just get miserable unless we go to a new planet.

I wish it were different, but it isn't.

I cannot save the world. I cannot force those around me to change their behaviour or their attitudes. But I can adopt some measures on my own which may make a small difference. And maybe others will join me.

Life is good.

I cannot save the world. I cannot force those around me to change their behaviour or their attitudes. But I can adopt some measures on my own which may make a small difference. And maybe others will join me.

Life is good.

Your own measures are great and well-intentioned.  The companies producing electricity or cars or whatever have zero financial interest in changing their ways, and won't.  They will spend millions on lobbyists to buy the government so that they can continue to amass the most profits, and will spend nothing on things that don't enhance the profit-making potential.  Sorry to be a downer, but that is how it is, exactly.  Your efforts and the efforts of all of us that are like you will amount to very little compared with government and commercial polluters.  They will drag you down with them, with absolute certainty (if you have been a keen observer of human nature, you should already realize this).  If there is change, it will be with much attendant kicking and screaming publicly, while changing very little behind the scenes.

Anyway, enough on obvious human behavior, space exploration shows at least a little hopefulness.  Going to the moon unleashed floods of advancements in technology, as would a Mars mission.  The knowledge gained, some of it, anyway, would find some use within society.  Plus, we would have something to look forward to, as man attempts to achieve something new.

Going to the moon unleashed floods of advancements in technology, as would a Mars mission.  The knowledge gained, some of it, anyway, would find some use within society.  

So maybe by going to Mars, we could develop some technology that would allow us to always know exactly where our big flying machines full of people are, at all times?  Sounds good.   :rolleyes:  :)

So maybe by going to Mars, we could develop some technology that would allow us to always know exactly where our big flying machines full of people are, at all times?  Sounds good.   :rolleyes:  :)

Is it sad that the only "advancement in technology" from going to the moon I can recall off the top of my head is "Tang"?

I think it's an insane waste of money.

The point that I was trying to make in the original post was that we need to do a helluva lot more here on earth (like be able to track airliners full of living people) before we start wasting resources on space.  The roads and bridges and water and sewage systems in this country are getting old and rapidly deteriorating and will need massive amounts of resources to build, repair and upgrade.  We should be spending our money on that, which would also produce lots of jobs.

The analogy I've used before:  It's like the guy living in a run-down shack (the US infrastructure) but driving a new Cadillac (the space program).  Priorities.

The point that I was trying to make in the original post was that we need to do a helluva lot more here on earth (like be able to track airliners full of living people) before we start wasting resources on space.  The roads and bridges and water and sewage systems in this country are getting old and rapidly deteriorating and will need massive amounts of resources to build, repair and upgrade.  We should be spending our money on that, which would also produce lots of jobs.

The analogy I've used before:  It's like the guy living in a run-down shack (the US infrastructure) but driving a new Cadillac (the space program).  Priorities.

Whatever, I still think it's a waste of money that could be better spent.

And would we have developed these anyhow with the space program?  I think it's an insane waste of money.

You couldn't be more wrong.  That was the era of American exceptionalism, where we were just the best.  No one was gonna beat us to the moon and back, no one!  A source of pride and all that.  Where would we be without all that missile technology that kills bad guys in some desert or other today?  You kill bad guys with moon guns and get bawdy about it with a big glass of Tang and American pride, thats what!

Now, we have a bunch of pansies that would rather feed the homeless than make food out of them, and Mars is just a concept to learn about in 3rd grade and to only remember to complain about.

Take a few pennies and give them to the space eggheads, how the hell else are we gonna step up our game enough to build realistic sex robots with firm, realistic boobs and self-lubricating and self-washing vaginas?  And for the ladies, vibrating penises and such?  Hmm???

What is it with you and keeping track of airliners?  So we lose a couple hundred chinamen, is anyone really gonna miss them?  

I agree about the infrastructure, we have to put people to work at home, work with heavy equipment, with orange vests and hardhats and such.