Our tv has the black screen of death.

Airehead

Einstein thinks it is the power source for the LEDs. We had to take it off the wall. We then had to carry it to the basement. @Shu Fang was here yesterday but then Einstein was of the buy a new tv mind Then.
 Now it is fix this one. I was not the best helper.

Any idea how long this will take? Chance it may be successful? How much cussing?  Damn engineers. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

24 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Any idea how long this will take? Chance it may be successful? How much cussing?  Damn engineers. 

As long as it takes. 
Won’t know until you try. 
As much as necessary. 
Special dispensation. 
:)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

47 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Now it is fix this one. I was not the best helper.

OK... so he needs to figure out how to take the TV apart.  Figure out how to test the individual circuit boards.  Get the tech info to explain what good looks like,  Hopefully he figures out which part needs to be replaced.  Find a place that sells the part.  And then... the part will be out of stock with no estimated date for when it will be back in stock (if ever).  

So... you it can take a while.  Maybe months for the parts to be back in stock.  :scratchhead:

22 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I'd have been at the store as soon as the picture went out.

I would first need to do some research to figure out what I would want to buy.    I like our LG OLED TV.  It has a great picture. 

Then I'd buy a new TV. 

• Heart 2

Just now, Bikeguy said:

I would first need to do some research to figure out what I would want to buy.    I like our LG OLED TV.  It has a great picture. 

Then I'd buy a new TV. 

That would depend on how many other tvs were in the house.  If the answer is "none" than there is no time to waste.  Get the first tv available and that can become your backup once you buy the researched one.

• Heart 2

49 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:
1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have a Sony tube TV still going after 33 yrs.

Boomer!

Couch

We have a 27 inch tube Sony that still works.   I'd told WoBG we need to take it to the recycling event our county has 1 or 2 times a year.  She refuses...    Happy wife = happy life   So it is still here.

I'm proud to be a boomer.  

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

OK... so he needs to figure out how to take the TV apart.  Figure out how to test the individual circuit boards.  Get the tech info to explain what good looks like,  Hopefully he figures out which part needs to be replaced.  Find a place that sells the part.  And then... the part will be out of stock with no estimated date for when it will be back in stock (if ever).  

So... you it can take a while.  Maybe months for the parts to be back in stock.  :scratchhead:

Then I'd buy a new TV. 

There are not a lot of individual ckt boards in the modern TV 

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

How long does it take to drive from Best Buy?

New TV boxes open fairy easily, so very successful.

Plent of cussing when discover has the wrong cable, or technically the correct cable but wrong size connector. So back to Best Buy.

Damn engineers...yes, why can't they have universal cable ends. None of the standard, mini, micro stuff!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I would first need to do some research to figure out what I would want to buy. 

I'd suggest you just ask Petite.

16 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

You need an electrical engineer.

Forgive me, but I think you spelled damn fool electrical engineer wrong.   ;)

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Before my first post I searched my area.  This is what Google found...    VCR???   :frantics:

It's a money laundering front for the Mob.

;)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Airehead said:

Damn engineers.

10 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I'm offended.

It's 'Damn fool engineers' or not at all.  :angry:

11 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

what did I do?:dontknow:

It is an engineer's job to make things as difficult to repair as possible.  Automotive engineers have come very close to perfection.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

We have a 27 inch tube Sony that still works.   I'd told WoBG we need to take it to the recycling event our county has 1 or 2 times a year.  She refuses...    Happy wife = happy life   So it is still here.

I'm proud to be a boomer.  

I agree w/ her. Keep it. I have two TVs. a 20" Sony that's 33 years old, and a 36" Sony that's 17 years old. Both tubes. I'm on a mission to see how long the older one lasts.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

U_Tube_A.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=eb8afb9d5c40

In the years before computers, we had banks of u tubes attached to pressure lines coming from the jet engines in test.  Then there were banks of jr engineers rapidly scribbling data onto yellow pads of paper.  I was amazed that we ever created jet engines.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

8 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

No, but there are capacitors.....

My parents upgraded to a bigger flat panel TV with better resolution, and the old one (still functional at the time) languished in the basement for some time, until they offered it to us.  I got it home and it wouldn't turn on, but I did some sleuthing on the interweb and the Youtube and found that this brand of TV (a Samsung) is prone to capacitor failure. 

While I'm only a traffic engineer, I do have a soldering gun (in one of my prouder moments I successfully replaced all the guts in my Les Paul).  I think I paid $12 for half a dozen capacitors, and I replaced the one bad one, and this TV has been perfect since (maybe a year and a half?)

For whatever this is worth.  But if a traffic engineer can do it, you should be in great shape.

Are you familar with tri-state traffic data?

When I got my new Samsung 65" Smart 4K TV in July 2021, after I got back in my house, the audio worked fine but no picture.  We took it back to Costco, got a new one, loaded it in my BiL's truck and I had to keep yelling, "Stop running over potholes!"

We got it home and it's been working great ever since - the video on "dynamic" mode is so good I, slightly colorblind, can reds and greens a lot better - I never realized until this TV that Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond always wore a red or pink blouse.  The price was $549 vs $768 at Walmart and $1000+ on Amazon, and Costco gives you a 2-year warranty instead of the manufacturer's 1-year.  For another $50, I got an additional 3 years of "throw it under a truck and we'll still replace it" warranty.

So that's 5 years and my TV will probably break down soon after July, 2026.

• Heart 3

I admire his effort. I just wish I had the ability and patience to tackle such repair jobs. This throw away society really bothers both of us. We cringe when folks try to sell us something other than the quality product we are looking for, and followup with a comment,"Well you have a warranty." Poorer quality stuff always seems to breakdown at the most inconvenient time.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Parts will arrive tomorrow

So... what died and needed to be replaced?

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Guess I will be home for the cussing 

:)  You have to let us know how this works out. 

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I admire his effort. I just wish I had the ability and patience to tackle such repair jobs. This throw away society really bothers both of us. We cringe when folks try to sell us something other than the quality product we are looking for, and followup with a comment,"Well you have a warranty." Poorer quality stuff always seems to breakdown at the most inconvenient time.

I admire the effort too.   

I kept our Speed Queen washer and drier (if I recall they was new in 85) alive and working until 2019.  They were simple to repair. And they didn't need very many repairs.   We left them in our old home and purchased new appliances.    Our new washer and drier... nope if they stop...  I'll call the guy. 

The problem with most of the stuff made today, is complexity and the manufactures who realized they could make more money if they are the only way people can get there stuff repaired.   John Deere now needs to provide info to customers so they can repair their own tractors.  I'd bet some will start making their own repairs, most won't.    

My old laptop has 2 keys that the keys are failing.   I ordered replacement parts for the 2 keys.  In a few days the stuff will arrive.  My M key and F key will get repaired. ($19)  If you don't see any Ms of Fs in my posts next week you will know I failed.  

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

In some modern technology, the inability to repair is not due to lower quality but to the complexity of the parts.  Electronics functions that might have taken a completely separate ckt board back in the day may now be contained in a single integrated circuit.  That chip might be so complex that it is packaged as a "ball grid array" that doesn't even have pins or legs that are accessible for soldering.  This is one of the reasons that small television repair shops are dropping out of the business world.  They can't afford the repair equipment necessary to fix the things that come in.  That's the down side of the industry.  The upside is that the complexity of parts allows one to go down to the local store and buy a 40" smart TV for under $300 that by older standards should have cost thousands.

22 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I would rather buy a solid foundation with a simple house than a weak foundation with a fancy house

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1