How does this adventure sound?

Dirtyhip
Go to solution Solved by MoseySusan,

I'd suggest buying the tickets and booking the rooms after the dealer tells you he has the vehicle with all the paperwork on his end completed, and all the paperwork you need to sign ready.  I've been to the dealership a number of times to complete the sale of the car and the dealer hadn't finished getting the plates, transferring insurance, and putting in or on the car all the things they promised.  For me, I just drove off, went back home, and came back another day.  You, on the other hand, would have to pay for a longer stay at a hotel and all that goes along with that.  If it takes an extra day or two to make the arrangements once the dealer tells you he's ready, so be it.  You've got the deposit on the vehicle and it's not going anywhere for the extra day(s) it takes to finalize your travel plans.

• Heart 3

After some consideration, I think we are going on foot.  The bikes are going to be a pain. 

New plan, walk some short miles to AMTRAK, first class across the state, drink a mimosa, Arrive in Portland, have dinner, Stay somewhere swanky, take the max from Portland to the dealership.  Walk into the dealership and drive the van home.  

The plan is slightly shifting.  A very nice forumite wants to pick us up in Portland and drive us to the Dealer.  He mentioned crime.  I hadn't even considered it. We have homeless here too.  I ride the bus with homeless all the time.  One of my stops is where plenty of people take a nap.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I'd suggest buying the tickets and booking the rooms after the dealer tells you he has the vehicle with all the paperwork on his end completed, and all the paperwork you need to sign ready.  I've been to the dealership a number of times to complete the sale of the car and the dealer hadn't finished getting the plates, transferring insurance, and putting in or on the car all the things they promised.  For me, I just drove off, went back home, and came back another day.  You, on the other hand, would have to pay for a longer stay at a hotel and all that goes along with that.  If it takes an extra day or two to make the arrangements once the dealer tells you he's ready, so be it.  You've got the deposit on the vehicle and it's not going anywhere for the extra day(s) it takes to finalize your travel plans.

Agreed.  The day is in flux for now.  I sent them an email asking that they spell out the exact costs for the vehicle.  We are paying a small premium, but I want to make sure they aren't jerks and add more, at the end.  Until I get that, no deal. 

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Dope AF

Before @Scrapr contacted me, we were going to walk up, pay and drive away.  I am willing to bet that this dealer hasn't seen this scenario too often. :D 

41 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Ironically no hotel on Mackinac island allows bikes in the room. I stayed at one of only two that allowed me to keep it inside.

Snobs.  I have taken my bike into multiple hotels in Oregon.  

So a few thoughts to follow up with my "Dope AF" reply earlier. 

It may seem silly, but this is something I have always wanted to do.  Buy a vehicle sight-unseen in someplace I have never been.  Fly out, finalize things and drive home.  For some reason I just think that is awesome.  Train just adds some coolness to it and you don't have to fly.  Love it.  

Secondly, the first time I was ever on a "for real" train I was in Corps School (or maybe boot camp?) in Great Lakes.  There were some guys from Brooklyn I think.  They came with us.  Now that I remember that I remember that it was our only liberty before graduating boot camp.... Anyways we hopped on a train in Great Lakes and went to Chicago for the day.  I will NEVER forget the Brooklyn guys.  Their eyes were glued to the windows of the train.  "LOOKATIT, LOOOK Vin.  IT'S A COW.  A FOOOKING COW"  I wish I remembered his name.  But him being so excited over seeing a cow was the best thing ever. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Snobs.  I have taken my bike into multiple hotels in Oregon.  

yes. But Lilac tree lets it stay in side. So if I go back, I'd go there. I also recommend this hotel to anyone liking to stay on the island. 4/5 star rating by Bikeman Tours. I'd rank it 5, if the bike was allowed in the room ;) 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Sounds like fun.  Will the hotel allow your bikes in the room?

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

You ask for permission? 

I have been to countless hotels before triathlons or bike races for G (and  few for myself).  We always brought bikes in.  Never asked permission.  Nobody once gave us any shit.  Even when G rode down the hallways. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

It may seem silly, but this is something I have always wanted to do.  Buy a vehicle sight-unseen in someplace I have never been.  Fly out, finalize things and drive home.  For some reason I just think that is awesome.  Train just adds some coolness to it and you don't have to fly.  Love it.  

Secondly, the first time I was ever on a "for real" train I was in Corps School (or maybe boot camp?) in Great Lakes.  There were some guys from Brooklyn I think.  They came with us.  Now that I remember that I remember that it was our only liberty before graduating boot camp.... Anyways we hopped on a train in Great Lakes and went to Chicago for the day.  I will NEVER forget the Brooklyn guys.  Their eyes were glued to the windows of the train.  "LOOKATIT, LOOOK Vin.  IT'S A COW.  A FOOOKING COW"  I wish I remembered his name.  But him being so excited over seeing a cow was the best thing ever. 

Our forumite tells me that our travel to Beaverton/Portland has some crime.  I should lower my expectations I guess.  Portland is a city I have been to once, in 2012. We had delicious thai food, and walked around downtown.  It was super fun and exciting to see this big city.  I remember Voodoo donuts very vividly.  Fond memories.  I got to shop at Lush and bought this fantastic face cream.  Such a treat.  

I am simple to please, really.

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Our forumite tells me that our travel to Beaverton/Portland has some crime.  I should lower my expectations I guess.  Portland is a city I have been to once, in 2012. We had delicious thai food, and walked around downtown.  It was super fun and exciting to see this big city.  I remember Voodoo donuts very vividly.  Fond memories.  I got to shop at Lush and bought this fantastic face cream.  Such a treat.  

I am simple to please, really.

But will you see a FOOKIN COW?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I have been to countless hotels before triathlons or bike races for G (and  few for myself).  We always brought bikes in.  Never asked permission.  Nobody once gave us any shit.  Even when G rode down the hallways. 

I've done that too.

• Awesome 1

• Solution
21 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

exciting to see this big city.  I remember Voodoo donuts very vividly.  Fond memories. 

We walked around the downtown a couple of years ago. The parkway, Voodoo Donuts, a Chinese restaurant, Lan Su Garden. I don’t remember feeling unsafe. That said, I wouldn’t take a pass on spending time with a local from our Cafe here. 😃

Covid has changed Portland downtown a lot. Plus the demonstrations from a couple years ago. Right in downtown itself the foot traffic is very low.  Office workers are WFH. Which leads to business closing. I went down to my jeweler a couple weeks ago. Parking right in front. Only cars there for 2-3 blocks was me and a uber driver picking up food from food cart. Sarah & I went yo Lan Su garden for lunar new year. Last year it was a disaster. Tents right up to the front gate. This year tents cleared for several blocks around. So things are getting better. 

But Portland is a city of neighborhoods. They are doing great. I love the 'hood my MIL lives in. Walkable and lots of places to eat. 

• Heart 2

45 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Covid has changed Portland downtown a lot. Plus the demonstrations from a couple years ago. Right in downtown itself the foot traffic is very low.  Office workers are WFH. Which leads to business closing. I went down to my jeweler a couple weeks ago. Parking right in front. Only cars there for 2-3 blocks was me and a uber driver picking up food from food cart. Sarah & I went yo Lan Su garden for lunar new year. Last year it was a disaster. Tents right up to the front gate. This year tents cleared for several blocks around. So things are getting better. 

But Portland is a city of neighborhoods. They are doing great. I love the 'hood my MIL lives in. Walkable and lots of places to eat. 

I look forward to your suggestions. Is the Nines a nice place?  The area around there?  I dont know what WFH means.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

But will you see a FOOKIN COW?

Uh well that was me with a lot of country shit… 

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

When I did the event in Mammoth the hotel manager just asked me to come up via the garage elevator with my bikes.  She said they technically not allowed in rooms but she knew how expensive they were and was OK with it as long as I kept them out of the lobby. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

WFH= Work from Home. Nines is good. Top  of the old Meier & Frank building across from Pioneer Square. Depends on what (if anything) is happening at the Square. MAX (light rail) goes right there. You could Light rail out to Beaverton. I've done several events at the Nines. 

I like Hotel Vintage on Broadway. I proposed there & had 25th anniversary there. Get the skylight room. They have remodeled them since I proposed but you used to be  able to lay in bed & look out the skylight. 

There is a ton of new hotels downtown. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I went by train from NYC to Great Lakes with 79 guys from NY.  It was all like West Side Story till we got to the barber shop.  Then it was 80 cold guys in the dead of winter standing in line waiting for uniforms.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

A very nice forumite wants to pick us up in Portland and drive us to the Dealer.  He mentioned crime.  I hadn't even considered it.

Have you decided on the crime yet?  It should be something quick, that van will be recognizable.

Sounds like a fun trip.  How many of us will fit in the van?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

This sounds like a fun adventure.  I have a friend who hates to fly and doesn't like to drive long distances, so she takes the train to a number of skating events.  She always gets the private roomette, but she's typically on the train overnight.  One caution is that I believe passenger trains don't have priority, so you sometimes get stalled while cargo trains have priority.  But if you're not in a rush and are enjoying the trip, it's not a big deal.

• Heart 1