Anybody here ever used dry ice to keep stuff cold in a cooler?

2Far

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Yes, all the time in aircraft. 

Nice you can do that on private aircraft. I've not been allowed to do it on commercial flights. Concerns for causing lack of oxygen for any pets flying in the baggage compartment. I was allowed to use ice or nothing. Think that was the same for my wife, when flying fish from Alaska to Montana.

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Nice you can do that on private aircraft. I've not been allowed to do it on commercial flights. Concerns for causing lack of oxygen for any pets flying in the baggage compartment. I was allowed to use ice or nothing. Think that was the same for my wife, when flying fish from Alaska to Montana.

It is a dangerous good so approved aircraft can carry it for food storage but not for passenger use.   We are the same in private aircraft and we only use it for storing frozen food like ice cream. 

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Thanks, but I get a bunch with my shipments of Victoza and insulin. I give my extras to businesses in town that ship vaccine to ranches.

I need to find a way to get these reused. Cannot throw them away.

I used it back when I was an industrial chemist and we either had thick blocks of it or we could make it with a machine that made it from CO2 coming from a tank.

If you use it, use something like a towel or thick cardboard to separate food items from touching the dry ice so they don't get super-freezer burn.  Also, when it evaporates, a pint-size of dry ice will turn into many gallons of CO2 gas, so don't put the dry ice in a sealed bag. Open a locked and sealed cooler every several hours to let the gas escape instead of building up pressure.  Of course, you want to keep the CO2 from coming into contact with water or other moist stuff that will make it convert to CO2 gas quickly.

Finally, remember not to pick it up with your bare hands as it will freeze-burn your skin.

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I used it back when I was an industrial chemist and we either had thick blocks of it or we could make it with a machine that made it from CO2 coming from a tank.

If you use it, use something like a towel or thick cardboard to separate food items from touching the dry ice so they don't get super-freezer burn.  Also, when it evaporates, a pint-size of dry ice will turn into many gallons of CO2 gas, so don't put the dry ice in a sealed bag. Open a locked and sealed cooler every several hours to let the gas escape instead of building up pressure.  Of course, you want to keep the CO2 from coming into contact with water or other moist stuff that will make it convert to CO2 gas quickly.

Finally, remember not to pick it up with your bare hands as it will freeze-burn your skin.

Yeah, i have some of those cooler insulated bags that my Rapatha comes in. I figured I’d put one on the bottom, DI, another bag & then my goods. I’ll snag a HD welding glove from work.