New car day

Rattlecan

1 minute ago, Rattlecan said:

It can do one thing an F150 can't. Fit a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed. At least that's the claim. I should check that with a tape measure.

A regular cab 150 with an 8 ft bed should be able to.  Of course you will NOT find those.  Everyone has the 4 door grocery getter like mine with the 5'6" bed. 

My 350 with the 8 foot bed should fit one I think.  

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

A regular cab 150 with an 8 ft bed should be able to.  Of course you will NOT find those.  Everyone has the 4 door grocery getter like mine with the 5'6" bed. 

My 350 with the 8 foot bed should fit one I think.  

Exactly. Standard cab pickups are rarely seen these days.

So curiosity got the better of me and I just went and checked with a tape measure. A 4 x 8 sheet will fit. Not much space left over though.

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

3 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Exactly. Standard cab pickups are rarely seen these days.

Standard and the "extended" cabs too.  It was like 95% crew cabs when I was shopping at anything above the "base" work model.  We would have been happy with the smaller rear seat option, but with like one or two to look at versus dozens & dozens of the crew cabs, it just wasn't in the cards.  

My guess, though, is that as many people who use a a van or pickup for sheets of plywood, there are 100x who use it for other stuff first and more regularly.   

I gotta say, though, a minivan is something I always find to be super useful and versatile.  Fitting 7 or 8 folks in relative comfort is cool. Fitting 2 folks and several bikes in comfort is cool.  Mixing and matching passengers and cargo in comfort is cool.  I also find them steadily sportier and neater to look at over the years.  

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Standard and the "extended" cabs too.  It was like 95% crew cabs when I was shopping at anything above the "base" work model.  We would have been happy with the smaller rear seat option, but with like one or two to look at versus dozens & dozens of the crew cabs, it just wasn't in the cards.  

My guess, though, is that as many people who use a a van or pickup for sheets of plywood, there are 100x who use it for other stuff first and more regularly.   

I gotta say, though, a minivan is something I always find to be super useful and versatile.  Fitting 7 or 8 folks in relative comfort is cool. Fitting 2 folks and several bikes in comfort is cool.  Mixing and matching passengers and cargo in comfort is cool.  I also find them steadily sportier and neater to look at over the years.  

but you have to think about resale value.  Can really only resell the crew cab these days.  Crew cab 4x4 is only thing that sells easily.

I find that it is trailers.  People have trailers for tools/sheets of plywood.  Get a truck that will haul the family, pull a trailer for work and on the weekends pull a camper or boat.  

• Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

People have trailers for tools/sheets of plywood.

I just assume I would lay the plywood sideways across the bed & up over the side with the tailgate open and strap it down.  I did that with the old mattress, so I think it would work fine with plywood.

• Heart 1

@Rattlecan

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/23/1165726222/hyundai-kia-recall-fire-risk-park-outside

Affected Hyundai vehicles include the 2019 to 2023 Santa Fe, the 2021 to 2023 Santa Fe Hybrid, the 2022 and 2023 Santa Fe Plug-in hybrid and the 2022 and 2023 Santa Cruz. The only Kia affected is the Carnival minivan from 2022 and 2023. All have Hyundai or Kia tow hitch harnesses that came as original equipment or were installed by dealers.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, dinneR said:

@Rattlecan

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/23/1165726222/hyundai-kia-recall-fire-risk-park-outside

Affected Hyundai vehicles include the 2019 to 2023 Santa Fe, the 2021 to 2023 Santa Fe Hybrid, the 2022 and 2023 Santa Fe Plug-in hybrid and the 2022 and 2023 Santa Cruz. The only Kia affected is the Carnival minivan from 2022 and 2023. All have Hyundai or Kia tow hitch harnesses that came as original equipment or were installed by dealers.

Thanks. Mine does not have the tow hitch harness. I was actually kind of bummed out about that because having it means there is a plug under the left rear underside panel that you can just plug a 4 flat adapter kit into and then just have to run a couple of wires to the battery for the 7 way. 

I am using a wireless brake controller so I don't need one in the cabin.

Without the factory harness, I will have to tap into the tail light wiring with  a 3 to 2 module for the 4 flat and run one more wire to the battery. I've done it before so it's no big deal.

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

Thanks. Mine does not have the tow hitch harness. I was actually kind of bummed out about that because having it means there is a plug under the left rear underside panel that you can just plug a 4 flat adapter kit into and then just have to run a couple of wires to the battery for the 7 way. 

I am using a wireless brake controller so I don't need one in the cabin.

Without the factory harness, I will have to tap into the tail light wiring with  a 3 to 2 module for the 4 flat and run one more wire to the battery. I've done it before so it's no big deal.

Double check that on the wiring harness. On my Buick Encore GX, GM made it easy, but little known. While I don't like the capacity of the GM hitch - but does have nice styling with a replaceable custom bumper trim piece, will probably go with the Draw-Tite "hidden" hitch that protrudes under the bumper. E-trailer sell the wiring kit that you splice in, but what the don't tell you is that you can get the GM part at the dealer cheaper, and is only a 10" wire extension that mates to an existing plug on the original wiring harness with the 'open/unused' connector. Essentially, they engineered it easy for dealer installs, 10 minutes work to charge an hours labor.

May want to check with Kia service manager or parts department to see if similar exists for Kia.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Double check that on the wiring harness. On my Buick Encore GX, GM made it easy, but little known. While I don't like the capacity of the GM hitch - but does have nice styling with a replaceable custom bumper trim piece, will probably go with the Draw-Tite "hidden" hitch that protrudes under the bumper. E-trailer sell the wiring kit that you splice in, but what the don't tell you is that you can get the GM part at the dealer cheaper, and is only a 10" wire extension that mates to an existing plug on the original wiring harness with the 'open/unused' connector. Essentially, they engineered it easy for dealer installs, 10 minutes work to charge an hours labor.

May want to check with Kia service manager or parts department to see if similar exists for Kia.

The Kia harness is at least three times the price of the equivalent from Curt and only works if the plug is already there at the back of the car. To get the complete harness wired in from the front of the car at the dealer was going to be close to two thousand bucks. The only thing that gets you that the universal kit doesn't is a line for a brake controller and power to the booster module at the rear. The boost is necessary because the wiring is not heavy duty enough to run the extra lights. 

Even that still only sets you up for a 4 flat plug so you need to run two more power lines to the battery for the 7 way, so running a third wire for the module is no big deal.

I am using a wireless brake controller, so I don't need the blue wire hooked up.

The only class III receiver I have found to fit that particular vehicle is from Curt, but the mounting holes are there and it is a simple bolt in.

• Heart 1