Pencil or Pen?

Razors Edge

Which is your current "go to" writing implement?  

Lately, I've switched more to pencils than pens. Not sure why, but I just enjoy them more right now.  

And mostly pencils that you sharpen rather than mechanical ones.  Sadly, one of my Dixon Ticonderogas is not sharpening well as the lead breaks quickly. :(  A Papermate and a logo'd freebie both are doing fine, though. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Sadly, one of my Dixon Ticonderogas is not sharpening well as the lead breaks quickly

The best pencils. I prefer the matte black paint to the yellow. 

I’ve been adult coloring with coloring pencils while visiting with Ethan in the hospital. And it occurred to me yesterday the low key heartbreak when a pencil appears to be perfectly sharpened, but then the tip starts wiggling. Sigh…broken core. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

I prefer the matte black paint to the yellow. 

I saw those in the store and wondered if they were different in some other way or just the color??? 

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

And it occurred to me yesterday the low key heartbreak when a pencil appears to be perfectly sharpened, but then the tip starts wiggling. Sigh…broken core. 

And that's how the D.T. has been behaving.  Must have been internally damaged somehow to make the lead crack?

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I saw those in the store and wondered if they were different in some other way or just the color??? 

Just the paint color.

My students said they  liked to borrow pencils from me because I stocked matte black Ticonderoga. 

Back to the OT, mr. prefers a medium point G2 ink pen. I put a few in his Christmas stocking each year. 

Whatever I grab first.  I kinda like my Pentel .7 twist erase.  I get annoyed when the lead is close to dead and it pushes in when I write.   I try to use it to the end, but when it gets small, it's very annoying. Sometimes I like papermate flair.  It is very very bold.  "Sing HERE, now!"

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Lately, I've switched more to pencils than pens. Not sure why, but I just enjoy them more right now.  

And mostly pencils that you sharpen rather than mechanical ones.  Sadly, one of my Dixon Ticonderogas is not sharpening well as the lead breaks quickly. :(  A Papermate and a logo'd freebie both are doing fine, though. 

I use MS Paint for my best work.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I rotate among pencil, pen, and fine-point Sharpie marker.

If I'm writing a small-sized inscription on something, I use a pencil most times - especially if it's something that may change, like the number of seeds in a veggie packet.  If it's something permanent, I might do it in pen.  If it's a large label, I use the Sharpie marker.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Airehead said:

When they get much shorter than these I put them in the share bin.

84C8E901-7748-42D6-A536-3FCE21D3E351.jpeg

When I used real pencils they would get a lot shorter than that.   More like this.

Pencil stub hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Then I started using mechanical pencils with 0.5 mm with B hardness.   

Now I just pen.  (or type)

• Heart 1

Always a pen. I have had Cross pen for 40 years. Right front pocket at all times. Recently I went looking for a refill and there was none to be found. Guy at Office Depot said Cross went BK.  So I bought a cheapo Cross pen off the rack. Looked at the cartridge and said to myself that looks like it might fit. It did! Good for a few more years

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

Always a pen. I have had Cross pen for 40 years. Right front pocket at all times. Recently I went looking for a refill and there was none to be found. Guy at Office Depot said Cross went BK.  So I bought a cheapo Cross pen off the rack. Looked at the cartridge and said to myself that looks like it might fit. It did! Good for a few more years

And Amazon has a whole array of Cross refills.  My dad worded for the Chicago Cubs for a few years.  They gave him a silver Cross pen with their logo on the clip.  I have in a box of his stuff somewhere around here.

I was never a fan of them.  Nice pen but too skinny.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

And Amazon has a whole array of Cross refills.  My dad worded for the Chicago Cubs for a few years.  They gave him a silver Cross pen with their logo on the clip.  I have in a box of his stuff somewhere around here.

I was never a fan of them.  Nice pen but too skinny.

True...about 20 years ago I switched from Classic to a fatter pen with some heft

Bailey Black Lacquer Ballpoint Pen

38 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Don’t we have some fountain pen aficionados here, like maybe jsharrt or Wilbur or roadsue?  

I got a new fountain pen a couple weeks ago. It came with some other stuff and I haven’t used it yet.  I’ll probably give it to one of our daughters.