Need tires?

BR46

When I raced gas RC, we had the “pro driver discount”. The 4wd cars required precised tire sizes to handle right so they would often toss rims with plenty of rubber left. Those of us in 2wd could be more flexible. We would take their tossed tires and use them for practice and qualifying heats - saving our best tires for the longer main races. 
I always seemed to miss the cut for the A main so I always had to race out of the B race. I always kept 2 sets of Main tires ready. 

20 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Roughly how much would a tire go for? (Actual price, not the BR 46 fire sale price).

Depending on size and rubber compound $150 to $350. 

Sidecar tires are $250 each. 

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Could be worse.  A top fuel dragster tire costs nearly 1K and it's only good for about a mile and a half.  

I was about to post in the RC thread about tires.   Got the Evader out to play today and it is lots of fun.  Will just about wheelie under full throttle.  We are going to go bash later.   Since this car will be 2wd only, I was thinking of doing buggy style tires on it.  I see lots of sets of tires on Amazon.  I assume that the Evader is a 12MM hex but will confirm.   What would you reccomend for buggy tires.  I sort of want to go with the look of the tires on a Traxxas Bandit with the big tires i the back and the grooved looking tires in front.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

OK follow up question, how long do they last? A season, a race or somewhere in between?

That depends on size of bike, hp, riding style and track surface. 

My 500 will get about 7 weekends of racing. My son's 650 about 8 races his honda f2 bike about 4 races or works out to be about 100 miles. 

Little Talladega 3 practice sessions and 2 races and the tires are done. 

• Thank You 1

26 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I was about to post in the RC thread about tires.   Got the Evader out to play today and it is lots of fun.  Will just about wheelie under full throttle.  We are going to go bash later.   Since this car will be 2wd only, I was thinking of doing buggy style tires on it.  I see lots of sets of tires on Amazon.  I assume that the Evader is a 12MM hex but will confirm.   What would you reccomend for buggy tires.  I sort of want to go with the look of the tires on a Traxxas Bandit with the big tires i the back and the grooved looking tires in front.

I suspect that your front wheels may not be hex wheels but rather bearing wheels.  A quick check of ebay shows 1 set of fronts and 1 set of rears (wheels only) available.  This is one of the problems with what is honestly an antique car.  There was a buggy version of the evader chassis available for a while.  Parts would be even harder to find for that.  Google may be your friend here.  Finding a set of instructions would be valuable.

You may have to learn how to glue up tires on wheels for this one.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I suspect that your front wheels may not be hex wheels but rather bearing wheels.  A quick check of ebay shows 1 set of fronts and 1 set of rears (wheels only) available.  This is one of the problems with what is honestly an antique car.  There was a buggy version of the evader chassis available for a while.  Parts would be even harder to find for that.  Google may be your friend here.  Finding a set of instructions would be valuable.

You may have to learn how to glue up tires on wheels for this one.

Bearing wheel on front.  Rear wheel is on a straight shaft with a shear pin.

image.jpg

image.jpg

19 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Bearing wheel on front.  Rear wheel is on a straight shaft with a shear pin.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Limited choices then on the front as those might be SAE sized bearings which would eliminate Tamiya style wheels.  Hexes can be bought for the rear that fit over the pins but again axle diameter may be critical.