A N00b Mistake

Razors Edge

Awesome.  I remember several times when I did turn on the propane but one tank ran out in the middle of the night and had to go out in 20 deg temps to switch the tanks.  Just a switch and opening a valve, but dang it's nippy.

The space heaters do so well when hooked to shore power.  Propane ain't cheap.  Save all of it you can. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

How was driving/backing up?

Driving is fine since we weren't going far.  Backing is MUCH better.  It helps that there aren't any crowds when I do it :) since I'm slow and steady.  When returning to park at our storage spot, my normal path was blocked, but I din't realize it until I was pretty far down the row.  I had to reverse a few hundred feet and reverse through a 90o turn to get to assigned spot. Again, slow and easy won the day.

It helps also when the weather is clear and it is daytime.  Rule #1 seems to be all about PATIENCE and NOT RUSHING.

• Heart 3

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Driving is fine since we weren't going far.  Backing is MUCH better.  It helps that there aren't any crowds when I do it :) since I'm slow and steady.  When returning to park at our storage spot, my normal path was blocked, but I din't realize it until I was pretty far down the row.  I had to reverse a few hundred feet and reverse through a 90o turn to get to assigned spot. Again, slow and easy won the day.

It helps also when the weather is clear and it is daytime.  Rule #1 seems to be all about PATIENCE and NOT RUSHING.

Rule # 1 is always patience and not rushing. Rule #2 should be "set yourself up for a good attempt".  Position your rig to give you the best chance at getting in when you start to back up.  The hardest part of if all for me is not people watching you, but the people across the street on the other side of you.  If you arrive late and they are already parked that is the part that always got me.  With a crew cab long bed truck that has the turning radius of a battleship, front end swing was always the hardest part.  I NEVER had that problem in the 150.  

• Awesome 2

Be aware, a lot of campgrounds do not allow space heaters.

For good reason, there is some risk to them in a camper.  Not to mention it drives up the campground's utility bill, and they base site prices on you using your propane.  You might be surprised at how little propane you'll use to heat that camper.

pro tip: hang that power cord straight down close to the camper and coil any excess UNDER the camper.  It will keep you from tripping on it if you have to , I dunno, maybe wander around in the dark looking for your propane valve

I need to get mine uncovered soon, it needs a few things before a trip next month

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 12string said:

pro tip: hang that power cord straight down close to the camper and coil any excess UNDER the camper.  It will keep you from tripping on it if you have to , I dunno, maybe wander around in the dark looking for your propane valve

You're trying to take the fun out of this for the rest of us, huh?

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You're trying to take the fun out of this for the rest of us, huh?

1.  It was the middle of the night, any video would have been to dark to laugh at

2. If it wasn't too dark, the sight of the noob in his Sponge Bob Boxers might have made you turn away before seeing the trip anyway..

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, 12string said:

1.  It was the middle of the night, any video would have been to dark to laugh at

2. If it wasn't too dark, the sight of the noob in his Sponge Bob Boxers might have made you turn away before seeing the trip anyway..

Good points.  I take back the nasty things I just said about you.  :) 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Tracking information and delivery photo show it landed on your doorstep over two weeks ago.  Why haven't you put it on the trailer yet?

Talk to @donkpow about how we feel about deliveries arriving on the wrong day - especially EARLY! :angry: