The Story of my Lunch and the High School Kids

Kirby

Although good, and intriguing, your story left me wanting more.  I mean, you told us how good the Italian food is, but you gave us nada, zip, zilch on the Mexican food.  Did you go with huevos rancheros? Migas? Chorizo breakfast tacos?  Something exotic that we have never heard of before like jalapeno pancakes?  

17 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Although good, and intriguing, your story left me wanting more.  I mean, you told us how good the Italian food is, but you gave us nada, zip, zilch on the Mexican food.  Did you go with huevos rancheros? Migas? Chorizo breakfast tacos?  Something exotic that we have never heard of before like jalapeno pancakes?  

This Mexican place is sort of like a poor man's Chipotle.   The same basic concept of a "make it before your eyes" like a subway for Mexican food.  But on the plus side, you don't have to order online like you do at my local Chipotle these days.  I had the basic tacos which were fine, but unremarkable. 

• Heart 2

22 hours ago, Kirby said:

Yesterday I decided to drive to a nearby strip mall to get some chicken piccata from a local Italian  that I'd have for dinner for a couple days this week,  This made me feel eager.  After I got my order, I decided to get some lunch at the takeout Mexican place in the same strip mall.  But first I took my order back to the car.  As I was walking to the Mexican place I saw a large crowd of high school kids who had just come from sporting event at the adjacent high school.  This made me nervous.  The Mexican place isn't the speediest, and if I got behind them on line, I'd be there all day and it wouldn't be worth it.  I tried to pick up my pace, but it was clear they'd get to the restaurant before me.  This made me feel sad.  But then they all walked past the Italian place and the Mexican place!  Half of them went to the bagel shop and the other half went to the big grocery store that has a lot of prepared take out food.  This made me very happy!

But then I wondered why these kids who go to school next to the stores and must eat there a lot all skipped the Mexican place.  This made me worried.  I had eaten there before and been fine, but what did they know that I didn't?  This made me anxious.   However as I entered the store a bunch of the kids changed their minds and went to the Mexican place!  This made me feel relieved.  As I ordered ,a large line of high school kids formed behind me.  This made me feel like I had won the lunch order lottery!

Last night I had some of the chicken piccata for dinner and it was delicious.  This made me feel very satisfied.

The End (at least until I have more of the chicken tonight).

Great story.  Some of those kids don't have money for fast food and buy a big bag of chips and a soft drink in the grocery store.

Then, filled with salt and sugar, they're wired during their afternoon classes.

When I was on the faculty council at my alma mater high school, I managed to get lunch off-campus banned.  I made sure not to tell the students it was me!

The teenagers whose parents give them a limited amount of money also know how to get the best bang for the buck.

When the varsity teams I coached had 2-hours from home Saturday meets or games, I would arrange with places like Cracker Barrel Old Country Store that I'd be bringing a party of 50 kids and several coaches and parents in around a certain time.  The teens would order plates that were piled with food and when I checked the prices, they were among the cheapest choices!