Are bagels a myth?

Randomguy

I had a bagel yesterday, as did the gf.  I had an everything bagel with scallion tofu spread, the gf had a wheat everything with cream cheese.  She brought half home and forgot it here, so I ate it this morning after she left.  There was a lot of cream cheese on it.

Now I want another.  This got me wondering whether anyone really has bagels and gobs of cream cheese everyday, because if they did, they most likely would be pretty hefty in short order.  Stuff is addictive, it seems, no wonder I almost never have them, generally maybe 4 a year or so.

Is bagel eating as part of an everyday diet a myth?  Those things are huge, and all that stuff on them can not be ideal.

• Heart 1

I will have them at hotels sometimes as part of the "continental" breakfast.  Sometimes if a rep comes in to the office they may bring bagels.  

I would bet that you could count the number of bagels that I consume in a year on both hands.   

I do like cream cheese though. 

• Heart 2

I like bagels when  I have them as long as they are not so damn tough they hurt your teeth trying to gnaw a bite out of them.  I usually wrap mine in a moist paper towel and nuke it for a bit to soften it up.  I like cream cheese and bacon on them.  

• Heart 1
  • Yum 1

I have an Einstein’s Bagels loyalty account and app. There’s a shop just down the street. They gifted me an egg sandwich for my birthday, but I haven’t redeemed it yet. It expires April 5. We split a bagel and I like peanut butter, hummus, or cream cheese, but not a lot. 

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I have an Einstein’s Bagels loyalty account and app. There’s a shop just down the street. They gifted me an egg sandwich for my birthday, but I haven’t redeemed it yet. It expires April 5. We split a bagel and I like peanut butter, hummus, or cream cheese, but not a lot. 

A bagel with peanut butter is often a good pre ride meal.

Virtually every day. Costco bagels labeled as Einstein. I have cream cheese with. Sometimes buy the Costco tub o cream cheese. It's big but I get tired of plain. . But I mix it up a little with a Tillamook cream cheese. It's pricier ($4 a small container) but I like the very veggie & the strawberry flavor. I don't think they put much weight on me. It's likely the ice cream a few nights a week

• Heart 1

Bagels are carbohydrate bombs. Mrs Parsnip, a recently diagnosed diabetic, was told to keep carb intake under 100 grams per day. Thomas’, a readily available bagel everywhere is rated at 280 calories and 55 grams of carbs. They say that this is 20% of the daily carb intake that calculates to 275 grams of carbs. Way too high for me. I tell myself that the only good bagel is a NYC bagel because that’s what New Yorkers tell me over and over again. So I only eat NYC bagels to be a snob about it and I never go to NYC, so no bagels. Easy peasy. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Interesting.  Both together?  I can see bacon, egg, & cheese on a bagel.  Or cream cheese (with other stuff too) on a bagel.  But bacon AND cc?

yes.  I am weird.  I will add bacon to just about anything.  And yes, a bacon egg and cheese breakfast sammie on a bagel is nice, but not as nice as a brioche bun.

37 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I had a bagel yesterday, as did the gf.  I had an everything bagel with scallion tofu spread, the gf had a wheat everything with cream cheese.  She brought half home and forgot it here, so I ate it this morning after she left.  There was a lot of cream cheese on it.

Now I want another.  This got me wondering whether anyone really has bagels and gobs of cream cheese everyday, because if they did, they most likely would be pretty hefty in short order.  Stuff is addictive, it seems, no wonder I almost never have them, generally maybe 4 a year or so.

Is bagel eating as part of an everyday diet a myth?  Those things are huge, and all that stuff on them can not be ideal.

I eat my bagels naked or sometimes down at Judie’s with apple butter on them. I am getting fat but I don’t think it is the bagels.

I'm not always in the mood for a bagel, but when I am I enjoy them.  Nice to go get them fresh from the bagel shop while they're still warm.

Non-dairy/vegan review - This stuff is very good in terms of flavor; but it's probably not much healthier than regular cream cheese, and when it starts to melt on a hot bagel it looks more like Crisco.  

Violife Cream Cheese Original Jl - 7.05 Oz - Safeway

On 3/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, donkpow said:

I think bagels weren't traditionally big slabs of bread with masses of toppings and fillings.

I was going to comment that bagels have morphed into huge slabs of bread from the original water boiled small things they really are. Owl eat them when they are there.  Daughter 2 got me into bagels with lox so I love that.