Are beagles a myth?

Razors Edge

Daughter and quasi-SIL have a beagle. Mostly he’s a good dog, but the boy didn’t know how to help him eat properly as a puppy. Daughter helped him get Watson on a schedule but he can tell time and God help them if they are a minute late with food!

• Heart 1

We have a Beagle.  Bella was a rescue dog.   She was just a day or two from being put down.   She's been living with us for nearly 6 years now. 

She has TWO distinct ways she likes to walk.   The first part of the video you will see her move both legs on the same side at the same time. Then she switches to a more normal dog walk.  :dontknow:

• Awesome 1

21 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...or are folks still raising them? I see too many labra-doodle or other "designer" dogs these days, and to me, it's tough to top a simple dog like a beagle or normal lab. 

I love beagles, my last dog was a beagle and if I get a dog in the future, it will probably be a beagle.

But, if you have people at your home who are allergic to dog hair, a labradoodle is great because, like a poodle, it doesn't shed.

They're also a conversation starter.  Many people with whom I cross paths on park trails ask about the breed and teens sitting on playground swings will call out as we walk by, "Hey Mister, what kind of dog is that?"

They also tend to very friendly and obedient.  I can't tell you how many times people on trails, including young kids, have suddenly rushed over to Jake to pet him and he just wags his tail.

They cost $3000 - $5000 now.

20180414_170556cropped500p.jpg.01b6a81e3b6f9fcfbe85fd3729f39763.jpg

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

We have a Beagle.  Bella was a rescue dog.

What a great pup!

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

They cost $3000 - $5000 now.

I must, as ever, direct you to the rescue "market".  Paying $3k-5k for a dog, cat, or any animal where there is already a huge supply of identical dogs in kennels awaiting adoption is tragic. :(

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What a great pup!

I must, as ever, direct you to the rescue "market".  Paying $3k-5k for a dog, cat, or any animal where there is already a huge supply of identical dogs in kennels awaiting adoption is tragic. :(

I agree in general.  My brother told his wife he paid $500 for Jake, but really paid $1200.

In his case, though, his wife is allergic to dog hair and he wasn't likely to find a rescue dog that didn't shed hair, so it was Jake or no dog at all.

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I agree in general.  My brother told his wife he paid $500 for Jake, but really paid $1200.

In his case, though, his wife is allergic to dog hair and he wasn't likely to find a rescue dog that didn't shed hair, so it was Jake or no dog at all.

My point is there are LITERALLY Labradoodle-specific rescue organizations locally and across the US.  Rescue dogs that don't shed hair looking for folks to adopt them.  Every day, owners of all sorts of dogs and cats - mutts to pedigreed - are given up for adoption, abandoned, dumped, seized, whatever, and are available for kind hearted folks to adopt.  

I like to say the dog name like "Be-ah-glaze" because I like to mess with words like that.  Similarly, chihuahuas are pronounced "chi-hua-hua.  Fun stuff if you are me.

Things I know about beagles:

• Beagle smell
  • Most food-motivated dogs I have seen
  • They get chunky
  • A bit of a pain in the ass to train
  • Are pretty sweet dogs if raised well

3 hours ago, Random Ungulate said:
  • Most food-motivated dogs I have seen
  • They get chunky

Yeah... that's a problem we have to keep under control.    Bella is our Beagle, would eat until she can't move.   She is indeed chunky.   And that's with walks almost every day. 

Our other dog Parker is a Jack Russell.   He will walk to his food, eat what he wants and walk away and there will be lots of food left over.  He eats when he's hungry.  The food for each dog is in a separate room.   To minimize food theft.  

If we leave Parker's food down all day... Bella will sneak in and eat all of his food. :angry:   When Parker is done, we take the food away and put it back down later when he will eat again.  Repeat as necessary...    Sometimes we forget (not often) and Bella raids Parker's food every time we forget.   We have gotten much better about not forgetting. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

23 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Our other dog Parker is a Jack Russell.   He will walk to his food, eat what he wants and walk away and there will be lots of food left over.  He eats when he's hungry.

My pup is some sort of rat terrier (cousin to a J.R.) and does the same.  She's a little worse as she likes to take her food, spread it out on the floor, and pick out the best bits first.  A beagle would hoover that up in a heartbeat!

Beagles are notoriously smart and loving, but also - like you and RG comment - FOOD MOTIVATED to the extreme.

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Beagles are notoriously smart

When we had our first Beagle (Bruno) we also had a German Shepherd (Sadie).  Bruno liked one spot on the couch.  One day,  Sadie had taken Bruno's spot.   Bruno started running around to play. Sadie got up and ran after Bruno.  Bruno ran around the couch, and jumped up and got into his spot and laid down.  Sadie probably said WTF, and found another spot to lay down.  WoBG and I laughed. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Bikeguy said:

When we had our first Beagle (Bruno) we also had a German Shepherd (Sadie).  Bruno liked one spot on the couch.  One day,  Sadie had taken Bruno's spot.   Bruno started running around to play. Sadie got up and ran after Bruno.  Bruno ran around the couch, and jumped up and got into his spot and laid down.  Sadie probably said WTF, and found another spot to lay down.  WoBG and I laughed. 

Sadie sounds like quite a bitch!  Way to go Bruno!