What is Fret Buzz?

Prophet Zacharia
Go to solution Solved by Kzoo,

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

An electric guitar term? Or something else?

the first option.  SW bought himself a very nice guitar and it had fret buzz.  I think this is a contact high of the frets from all the THC in his fingertips.  Anyway, he said for that much money, it better damn well be perfect and he told Martin guitars to shove it up their ass or some such.  

• Awesome 1

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

the first option.  SW bought himself a very nice guitar and it had fret buzz.  I think this is a contact high of the frets from all the THC in his fingertips.  Anyway, he said for that much money, it better damn well be perfect and he told Martin guitars to shove it up their ass or some such.  

pretty rare to get a Martin with buzz, they do a nice set up from the factory.

Common fret buzz:  A guitar neck (acoustic or electric, or any fretted instrument) is angled down ever so slightly from the head to the bridge.  When you press string against any fret, it will not touch the rest of the frets from there to the bridge.  Except when something  is wrong, then it gets close enough that the vibrations make it barely touch another fret, and it buzzes.  Frets wear down over time, that's why my Gibson buzzes a bit.  Or the neck gets out of adjustment and bows up.  Or strings get worn and vibrate more.  The head nut, the bridge could be worn, the guitar is a piece of junk.... lots of reasons

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, jsharr said:

He bought a Taylor guitar, not a Martin. Still a pricey well made instrument but I think the quality of a Martin is better than a Taylor but I don’t know. I strum a 7/8 Yamaha. My cousin bought a $4,000 Martin for $2,000 as his brother’s MIL retired from Martin Guitar after 50 years and she still gets employee discount. I’d buy one but I’m not worthy.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

He bought a Taylor guitar, not a Martin. Still a pricey well made instrument but I think the quality of a Martin is better than a Taylor but I don’t know. I strum a 7/8 Yamaha. My cousin bought a $4,000 Martin for $2,000 as his brother’s MIL retired from Martin Guitar after 50 years and she still gets employee discount. I’d buy one but I’m not worthy.

Thank you Fret Buzz Kill.  I was on roll.

• Haha 3