When folks can't pay...

Randomguy

I have a customer that is three months (plus more) past due, and my contact there is not answering the phone or email.  The main number rings, but then disconnects without the ability to leave a message or even hear a greeting.  

At first, this was just an annoyance from accounting, why are they asking me to chase a customer down?  I am the good cop, this is not good-cop activity.  Then I started to feel a bit bad and want to see if there is a way that I can help, a lot of customers in the city had a very rough time with covid and went out of business.  That said, they owe us a pile of money that we are on the hook for regardless of whether they pay or not.  I am going to show up there tomorrow morning to recon. 

What else can I do?

• Heart 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I do all kinds of stuff that conflicts directly with what I am supposed to be doing, it is a point of contention.

Like you contend they should pay you more, and they contend they enjoy paying themselves more from your extra efforts?  You and @Dottleshead should strategize together.

42 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

What else can I do?

First... stop doing things for them for free.  (I suspect that has already happened.) 

Next.. it depends on how much money you are talking about.   Legal action is next.  But that could be expensive.

If the company is out of business...   @Wilbur is correct. 

giphy.gif

When I first go married I worked for a while as the district sales manager (western CT) for Stewart Warner/Alemite.  I ran head on into the great OPEC gas embargo.  Remember the one where we had odd and even days based on license plate when we could purchase gasoline?  I did not sell directly to customers.  I acted as a sales rep through various auto parts houses.  Their customers were going under faster than they could get paid for equipment sold.

My boss sent me out to collect money for the auto parts houses that sold the equipment.  I did it for a while and then quit.  If I wanted to be a collection agent I'd have gotten a job at a collection agency.

When I left Stewart Warner my boss refused to pay my commissions on equipment already sold.  I left with all my demo equipment still in my car and ended up selling it on the black market.

• Heart 1

Previous job, the boss would give us a list of our clients that were way past due. He didn’t expect collection per se, but if they called wanting service, we would have to tell the that we aren’t allowed to do more service until they get caught up. I was usually able to transfer to our bookkeeper to resolve it and 90% of the time I would be doing a call for them shortly after. 
There were a couple times when the company was in a difficult situation and the boss would make an exception if they had normally been a good client. We only had to fire a few delinquent clients.