When you think of Ohio…

groupw

Do you think of corn?  That was a Spotify ad today. I can honestly say no. Never. Rust belt, a self-important university, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame…. But not corn!

I came from Nebraska. The Cornhusker State. We argue with Iowans about who has the best corn (we do). Ohio is never even in the conversation….

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, groupw said:

Do you think of corn?  That was a Spotify ad today. I can honestly say no. Never. Rust belt, a self-important university, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame…. But not corn!

I came from Nebraska. The Cornhusker State. We argue with Iowans about who has the best corn (we do). Ohio is never even in the conversation….

Ohio has lots of corn.  Maybe as much as Iowa or Nebraska or any other state in the midwest devoted to farming, per sq. mile.  The best of it is as good as the best of any other state claiming superiority.

I don't mean to crap on any state in particular, but I fail to taste a difference over another when one state is a bit overproud of its "Jersey tomatoes" for instance.  Good tomatoes and bad tomatoes come out of NJ, the state seems about as good as NY for that, or PA for that matter.  I think that produce tends to be pretty good now, regardless of what state it is from, but there are still attempts to position one state (usually the one you are in currently) as better than the one next door.

57 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Mafia? It has to be Jersey. 

You'd be surprised as many of my Sicilian relatives lived in CT.  This was the old style Sicilians with bocci courts and grape arbors in the back yard behind brick homes.  On any weekend you could find the women playing canasta and if you looked hard you could find that funny looking Italian revolver in the drawer of the side table.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You'd be surprised as many of my Sicilian relatives lived in CT.  This was the old style Sicilians with bocci courts and grape arbors in the back yard behind brick homes.  On any weekend you could find the women playing canasta and if you looked hard you could find that funny looking Italian revolver in the drawer of the side table.

A Bodeo?

Italian “OFFICER'S” Model 1889 BODEO 10.4mm Cal. DOUBLE ACTION Revolver C&R  Post-WORLD WAR I Officer's Service Weapon | Ancestry Guns

6 hours ago, Random Ungulate said:

Ohio has lots of corn.  Maybe as much as Iowa or Nebraska or any other state in the midwest devoted to farming, per sq. mile.  The best of it is as good as the best of any other state claiming superiority.

I don't mean to crap on any state in particular, but I fail to taste a difference over another when one state is a bit overproud of its "Jersey tomatoes" for instance.  Good tomatoes and bad tomatoes come out of NJ, the state seems about as good as NY for that, or PA for that matter.  I think that produce tends to be pretty good now, regardless of what state it is from, but there are still attempts to position one state (usually the one you are in currently) as better than the one next door.

A lot of states grow a lot of corn. I just don’t ever recall anyone talking about Ohio and having corn being the first conversation point. 

5 hours ago, Kirby said:

Not really, but I have driven through Ohio on Interstate 80, so you do see a lot of cornfields.

I-80 seems to be a corn corridor!

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

I think mainly of the line in “I’m from New Jersey” that says New Jersey is like Ohio, only more so. 

Lot of states want to be like Ohio, but there is only one!

That said, the best tomatoes I have from a farmer's market had come from one particular farm in NJ, all the other NJ tomatoes I have had have been disappointing.  I know that this is all farm/season/weather dependent, though.  I am glad fresh produce season is upon us, the lettuce is already better!

1 minute ago, groupw said:

I just don’t ever recall anyone talking about Ohio and having corn being the first conversation point. 

Ohio is like a lot of states, in that corn is everywhere.  Other than the three cities, Ohio is in the corn belt for sure and certain.  When I was in CA for the first time, people thought I was brought up on a farm, because I am from Cleveland.  The Californians were rubes that way.

3 minutes ago, Random Ungulate said:

Ohio is like a lot of states, in that corn is everywhere.  Other than the three cities, Ohio is in the corn belt for sure and certain.  When I was in CA for the first time, people thought I was brought up on a farm, because I am from Cleveland.  The Californians were rubes that way.

Californians (and Arizonans for that matter) can be pretty ignorant of other states. I find it funny that some consider themselves so “cultured” yet have not been been beyond their borders. 
The counterpoint being those who refuse to visit the “big city” yet will tell you all about how crime ridden they are. 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, groupw said:

The counterpoint being those who refuse to visit the “big city” yet will tell you all about how crime ridden they are. 

I have noticed that a lot here in the forum, especially if it is a big talking point for one side or other.  Remember when Portland was a burning hellhole during BLM and antifa scares?  I had a friend tell me he was outside having a burger and a beer peacefully at a sidewalk cafe while national media non-news was portraying it as a warzone.  He laughed, of course, and said how ridiculous it was.  Life was exactly the same yet half the country was convinced it was like the Walking Dead.

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, groupw said:

10000000%

1 hour ago, Further said:

Western Ohio is the start of the big fields, an average corn field in Pa would barely be enough room to turn the big plow rigs they start using in Ohio.

To me it always seemed the fields got bigger from PA to OH. And the roads go immediately from random following the hills, valleys, and rivers to bigass rectangles. 

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, groupw said:

A lot of states grow a lot of corn. I just don’t ever recall anyone talking about Ohio and having corn being the first conversation point. 

I-80 seems to be a corn corridor!

There is a long list of things to talk about when it comes to Ohio, corn isn’t in the top ten. We lived near Cincinnati from 2012 to 2016, worst eight years of my life. Lots of corn and soybeans around us. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

There is a long list of things to talk about when it comes to Ohio, corn isn’t in the top ten. We lived near Cincinnati from 2012 to 2016, worst eight years of my life. Lots of corn and soybeans around us. 

My brudder lives in the northern burbs of Cincinnati and seems to like it ok. But then he is always working. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

The first time I ever went to Ohio was early in 1976 to pick up a load of soya meal. That began a streak of a year and a half of doing it five times a week, so when I think of Ohio, it’s soybeans not corn.

I am sure it is ever changing, and depends on where you go.  I remember laughing at a town name, Celeryville, one time when driving from Cedar Point to Kings Island.  The Beast was down that day, and was the sole reason a bunch of us had a road trip.

Celeryville!  

"Celeryville is a unique agricultural community. The soil of farmlands is muck. It is so rich that several years ago it caught fire. Farmers are able to grow vegetables much faster than other areas and can get one or two extra crops in a growing season. Ohio State University maintains an agricultural extension there. Migrant workers come yearly to tend and harvest the crops.[citation needed]"

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, groupw said:

Last week I went down to the first floor of Judie’s building to pick up the mail. There were police cars everywhere and an ambulance right outside the main entrance. A blood trail from one of the elevators to the door. Someone on the fifth floor got shot. I told Judie that doesn’t happen on skunk Run Road.

3 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

The first time I ever went to Ohio was early in 1976 to pick up a load of soya meal. That began a streak of a year and a half of doing it five times a week, so when I think of Ohio, it’s soybeans not corn.

I ride The Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure quite a bit and notice most of the farms do a good job rotating their crops from corn to beans to wheat to hay and back to corn. Corn needs a lot of nitrogen and to continue to grow corn every year requires a lot of fertilizer.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

37 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Last week I went down to the first floor of Judie’s building to pick up the mail. There were police cars everywhere and an ambulance right outside the main entrance. A blood trail from one of the elevators to the door. Someone on the fifth floor got shot. I told Judie that doesn’t happen on skunk Run Road.

I ride The Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure quite a bit and notice most of the farms do a good job rotating their crops from corn to beans to wheat to hay and back to corn. Corn needs a lot of nitrogen and to continue to grow corn every year requires a lot of fertilizer.

Ohio does have an awesome bike trail network.

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

They say it should be "knee high by the 4th of July".  I don't know if that's just an Ohio saying, but by the end of July we usually have locally grown corn and it's usually really good.  Before that, the corn in the grocery stores is from the south somewhere.  Usually GA I think.  It just doesn't seem as big nor has the flavor.  A guy I used to work parent's had a farm.  He told me they grew a lot of corn, (I can't remember the number of acres) that was feed corn for cattle.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Sometimes the numbers on the TV alarm me, but then I remember that almost 4 times as many people live in the valley as the entire state of Nebraska. Simple percentages of people are the biggest factor. That as well as closer proximity to each other is a contributor. 

1 hour ago, a bunch of numbers said:

They say it should be "knee high by the 4th of July".  I don't know if that's just an Ohio saying, but by the end of July we usually have locally grown corn and it's usually really good.  Before that, the corn in the grocery stores is from the south somewhere.  Usually GA I think.  It just doesn't seem as big nor has the flavor.  A guy I used to work parent's had a farm.  He told me they grew a lot of corn, (I can't remember the number of acres) that was feed corn for cattle.

Sweet corn loses a lot every day it is off the stalk. Ya gotta get it fresh.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1