Harris, New York

Airehead

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

The Roscoe Diner is actually in Roscoe, NY - also known as Trout Town USA because it's a big trout fishing town. 

Next time you get this close, you have to let me know. :nodhead:

I definitely will. I would love to tour around with you. Feels like a slice of American history. Saw Fiddle Lake and I think White Lake on the way in. 

• Heart 1

Harris is outside of our usual Catskills range, but close enough.  :nodhead:  If you really want to experience the local culture, you need to come back during the summer when one of the towns is having a Penny Social fundraiser for the volunteer fire department.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I think I have to come to three meetings here. Today, I am the trainer but next two times just a participant. One is late July. 

And the best part is that you don’t have to overnight in Huber Heights OH on the way there! That’s a plus in my book. 

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, Kirby said:

We were in Callicoon  Center which is about 8 miles from Roscoe.  The boarding house where my grandparents met was in Obernburg. 

The World Famous Roscoe Diner became our go to lunch option on trips to the Catskills after the restaurant that was our go to for the prior 50 years closed (that was the restaurant that served the hot turkey sandwich that made the Not Wild Sister not wild).

Here are my grandparents on their wedding day at the boarding house.

grandparents.jpg

Grandpa was very dapper.  Perfect shirt cuff to jacket fit as well.  

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I’ve explored most of the nooks and crannies of NY state. Except the Catskills and Long Island area. Sounds pretty cool. 

I visited Buffalo twice, Niagara Falls once, and Massena. Mrs Parsnip had an aunt and uncle in Massena, Virgil and Lynn were nice people. Virgil called his wife Mary so he could use “Virg n Mary” in conversations.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Kirby said:

We were in Callicoon  Center which is about 8 miles from Roscoe.  The boarding house where my grandparents met was in Obernburg. 

The World Famous Roscoe Diner became our go to lunch option on trips to the Catskills after the restaurant that was our go to for the prior 50 years closed (that was the restaurant that served the hot turkey sandwich that made the Not Wild Sister not wild).

Here are my grandparents on their wedding day at the boarding house.

grandparents.jpg

Neither one looks particularly froggy.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1