The Book of Lazy-ass Joe

Parsnip Totin Jack

The next chapter. If you’re squeamish, read no more. On Monday, LAJ was scheduled for surgery on his legs due to blockages. The surgery is called vein mapping. Legs have three major veins, the mapping showed one (right) with partial blockage. Mrs Parsnip didn’t say anything about the left leg. They are going to do surgery to try and open those up. Even if they’re successful, there is a chance he could lose his right leg. He may lose both legs at some point. He told Mrs Parsnip that he wishes he had stayed in OH as there is no family nearby. Mrs Parsnip might be traveling to Orlando at some point. She hasn’t said as much, just that is what I expect. 

• Sad 7

11 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Mrs Parsnip might be traveling to Orlando at some point.

Disney World!!!! Woot woot!  

But, darn, that really does suck for her (and him).  She obviously loves LAJ despite all his challenges.  Good for her huge heart.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

The next chapter. If you’re squeamish, read no more. On Monday, LAJ was scheduled for surgery on his legs due to blockages. The surgery is called vein mapping. Legs have three major veins, the mapping showed one (right) with partial blockage. Mrs Parsnip didn’t say anything about the left leg. They are going to do surgery to try and open those up. Even if they’re successful, there is a chance he could lose his right leg. He may lose both legs at some point. He told Mrs Parsnip that he wishes he had stayed in OH as there is no family nearby. Mrs Parsnip might be traveling to Orlando at some point. She hasn’t said as much, just that is what I expect. 

Well that sucks for him.  This is a very common thing with a lot of my patients.  

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Well that sucks for him.  This is a very common thing with a lot of my patients.  

I vividly remember when, 30 something years ago, at the breakfast table in Ohio, I watched him add sugar to Frosted Flakes. I said something and learned not to say anything. I also learned that same day, that at age 18 he told the family that as an adult he didn’t have to eat vegetables if he didn’t want to. This is all self-inflicted and a long time coming. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I vividly remember when, 30 something years ago, at the breakfast table in Ohio, I watched him add sugar to Frosted Flakes. I said something and learned not to say anything. I also learned that same day, that at age 18 he told the family that as an adult he didn’t have to eat vegetables if he didn’t want to. This is all self-inflicted and a long time coming. 

Lazy Ass Legless Joe.  Sucks for everyone involved.  Sorry man.  

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

This is all self-inflicted and a long time coming

Probably the reason he doesn't/won't change :(

Honestly, you don't get to where we are as a people if the consequences of actions aren't far removed from the actions themselves.  Some folks see the A->B before it is too late, but many are gloriously unaware. :dontknow:

1 hour ago, Random Ungulate said:

You don't?   :o

I don’t even eat plain corn flakes. You know those were invented by John Harvey Kellogg, superintendent of the Battle Creek Sanitarium, a eugenicist who practiced inhumane practices to deter masturbation. I refuse to buy their products for this reason. You should boycott them too, you fappist. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I said something and learned not to say anything.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Some folks see the A->B before it is too late, but many are gloriously unaware.

One of the curses of being an engineer is the training to look for unintended consequences, to look for patterns to solve problems, and the ability to see the difference between causes and symptoms.  The training and experience become ingrained into daily life.  And as a result, I've made suggestions - carefully framed suggestions - to family members when I could foresee them heading for a train wreck.  I too learned not to say anything.

Of course, when the train did go off the rails it was my fault for not being persistent enough to 'make' them listen.  :rolleyes:

I believe some people are addicted to the emotional roller coaster of the drama.  Some others may crave the attention that comes with being the 'victim', even if it's of their own decisions.  Whatever their reason(s) I've learned in certain situations to offer no suggestions except when asked, and even then offer thoughts very cautiously because any advice I may offer often isn't what the person wants to hear anyway.

I'm perfectly willing to spend time, money, and energy to help someone, especially if that person is willing to help himself, to lift himself up.  But I no longer spend the time, money, and energy on people who lash out, rejecting good faith efforts on my part, and lash out again when they find themselves in a situation I offered to help them avoid. 

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

One of the curses of being an engineer is the training to look for unintended consequences, to look for patterns to solve problems, and the ability to see the difference between causes and symptoms.  The training and experience become ingrained into daily life.  And as a result, I've made suggestions - carefully framed suggestions - to family members when I could foresee them heading for a train wreck.  I too learned not to say anything.

Of course, when the train did go off the rails it was my fault for not being persistent enough to 'make' them listen.  :rolleyes:

I believe some people are addicted to the emotional roller coaster of the drama.  Some others may crave the attention that comes with being the 'victim', even if it's of their own decisions.  Whatever their reason(s) I've learned in certain situations to offer no suggestions except when asked, and even then offer thoughts very cautiously because any advice I may offer often isn't what the person wants to hear anyway.

I'm perfectly willing to spend time, money, and energy to help someone, especially if that person is willing to help himself, to lift himself up.  But I no longer spend the time, money, and energy on people who lash out, rejecting good faith efforts on my part, and lash out again when they find themselves in a situation I offered to help them avoid. 

I'm mostly a glass houses sort of guy, but yeah, I'm also in the "don't put too much effort into other folks' issues" camp. 

33 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I don’t even eat plain corn flakes. You know those were invented by John Harvey Kellogg, superintendent of the Battle Creek Sanitarium, a eugenicist who practiced inhumane practices to deter masturbation. I refuse to buy their products for this reason. You should boycott them too, you fappist. 

I appreciate the extra fapping energy I get from quick-hit cereals with added sugar!  

2 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I’ll drive him to @donkpow’s place with a little something for @donkpow. I would live happily ever after. The end.

I did make that suggestion.  @donkpow won't allow any BS nonsense out of him and could get him squared away in no time.

I'm not sure, though, if you can afford a solution like Donk.