The Yo-Yo Effect

Razors Edge

...is annoying, especially when the folks you are yo-yoing with are asocial jerks :D

I have a husband-wife couple I regularly see out on my rides. They're easy to spot as he is ALWAYS in the lead and she is tucked in behind him. I've mentioned them in the past - my Bar Mitts thread a year or two ago had an image of them with them on their bikes - and if I have passed them 100 times, I've only been acknowledged maybe five times (head nod, small wave, whatever).  They ride with earbuds, so there is no chance of a conversation, but simple acknowledgement is not too much to ask.

In any case, he's a taller and heavier (lean, but heavier than me) guy, so when we hit flats, downhills, or headwinds, he (they) will drop me like an anvil.  But I regularly catch them (and sometimes decide to pass) them on technical or uphill sections.  Yesterday's ride was rolling and included some gravel, so that meant lots of yo-yoing as were started at the same time, they dropped me on the flats/downhills, and then I would catch them on the ups and gravel.  It was fun in some respects, but also annoying as they clearly were in their own worlds.

Regardless, it's a great example of how two types of riders perform so differently over a 30 mile (or any distance) ride.  He'd/they'd rip my legs off on a flat TT, but they really struggle on those bits where I actually ride well.  Cycling is fun. :speedy:

Too funny - I checked my Bar Mitt's thread and saw my comments from before:

"So, last week, I spotted this couple (not super friendly) and decided I wanted the Bar Mitts." 

and

"Then, coming home on yesterday's ride - now with Bar Mitts - I caught and passed them.  The woman said a few nice things as I passed and said hi, but the dude remained quiet.  I have caught and passed them numerous times over the years and that guy NEVER says anything back to me   And, when passing in opposite directions, I always wave/nod, and never get anything from him (or her usually).  Frustrating considering how often I see them riding.  Probably in my top 10 most seen people - especially on nice bikes and seemingly "serious".  I blame it on the fact I see them in team kit in water months. They take it too seriously."

I always yo-yoed on western Pa’s MS150 with the little skinny girls. They would pass me on the climbs just effortlessly dancing on the pedals and then on the downhills it looked like they were going the same speed. I yo-yoed a lot with the tandems too. Pass them on the climbs and they would fly by me on the downhills.

16 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I always yo-yoed on western Pa’s MS150 with the little skinny girls. They would pass me on the climbs just effortlessly dancing on the pedals and then on the downhills it looked like they were going the same speed. I yo-yoed a lot with the tandems too. Pass them on the climbs and they would fly by me on the downhills.

Tandems can roll fast on a downhill especially if the two are working at it.  Most tandems seem to be between couples of differing strengths, but when you see a pair that is in shape, don't pass them near a hill's crest as they will blast by you on the descent. 

• Heart 1

Saw them again on my ride yesterday - decked out in team kit this time.  Not sure why some days are normal kit, and sometimes team kit :dontknow: Thought you tried to stay in team kit when in season, but I could be wrong.

image.thumb.png.ab26a61ce3858ad8a811a04ac6acf77e.png

...and you can see the yo-yo as I catch up to them on the gravel, but at the tail end, he sees me and hammers off for the paved downhill.  I caught them again at the next steady rise, but it was a lot of that back and forth.