Dick van Dyke, 97, crashes car into gate, treated at scene and ok

MickinMD

Maybe the car I expect to buy around 2030, when I'm around 80, won't be my last as I've been expecting.

Dick van Dyke is still driving at 97, said he lost control of his car in heavy LA rains, and crashed into a gate.

According to the LA Times "police filed a request to the California Department of Motor Vehicles for Van Dyke to retake a driving test, partially because of his age. Van Dyke was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the time of the collision, reports said."

Of course, the young reporters of today say he was known for being in "Mary Poppins."

In the BBC Comedy, "As Time Goes By," when Englishman Lionel's story is caricatured to a ridiculous extent by a Hollywood company doing a TV miniseries about it, the company's agent says to Lionel, "Do you remember Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent in Mary Poppins?"

Lionel says, with disgust, he would prefer not to remember it, but the agent says, "To Americans, that was cockney!" and that they wouldn't realize how ridiculous the TV series about him was with all the British cliches and archaic language.

Unfortunately, the Americans apparently did, the series was canceled after the first episode, but Lionel's agent had put guarantees in the contract so Lionel got paid well.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Airehead said:

97. He needs a driver. 

I honestly thought he had moved on.

Makes me wonder if Carol Burnett or Tim Conway or any of those others are still around.  Watched a thing on PBS the other day with Burnett, Conway, and Corman doing a bit, and it was as funny as ever.

15 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

That guy is living a life to the fullest 

And hopefully not endangering anyone if he continues to drive.

It's great he's going good in other areas of his life now.

Needs to drop driving.

It's actually better to ease out of driving while one is still healthy so the psychological adjustment is more gradual.

25 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

And hopefully not endangering anyone if he continues to drive.

It's great he's going good in other areas of his life now.

Needs to drop driving.

It's actually better to ease out of driving while one is still healthy so the psychological adjustment is more gradual.

There is a 99 year old man that works out at my gym. He doesn’t look a day over eighty. I wouldn’t be afraid to ride in a car with him driving.

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

There is a 99 year old man that works out at my gym. He doesn’t look a day over eighty. I wouldn’t be afraid to ride in a car with him driving.

My brothers father-in-law is 98 and just passed his license renewal. I think he is checked annually now.  Sharp as a tack and walks 5 km per day.  He isn't what he was and he knows that and drives accordingly. 

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

dearie was also sharp, highly active,  but chose to give up his driver's license @76 yrs.  By then, he was only driving 1-3 times annually.  

It was a non-issue when he gave up his license, because he was cycling daily around town doing stuff and going off on trips on his own.  I never worried because cycling motion kept his body/senses  awake and alert/happy. Driving did not and his body would tend to fall asleep because of his diagnosed narclepsy ....for life.  He did drive alot right up to his mid-40's and was a good driver.  But he understood the dangers and his limits. He drank alot of coffee to keep awake.  He did not want his body to become addicted to a prescribed light narcotic. (It made him feel shitty.)

Since he was a cycling advocate and knew alot of the local safer routes all over the area, that's why I never worried.

vs. my father who had to give up his license @84 yrs. because his cancer was progressing, etc. He did become depressed. By then, he was only driving on local known routes during day no more than 20 km. in Toronto.

25 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

My brothers father-in-law is 98 and just passed his license renewal. I think he is checked annually now.  Sharp as a tack and walks 5 km per day.  He isn't what he was and he knows that and drives accordingly. 

A good Toronto friend just flew into town here to visit family and friends.  We're gonna do brunch together in a few days. 

She was the government employee @Ministry of Transportation, leading development of  province of Ontario's program for  mandatory testing and licensing of senior drivers.