Next February snowbird trip already booked.

Rattlecan

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Well part of it anyway. Got a camp site booked in a Florida state park for a couple of weeks. Tried for a longer stretch but couldn’t get it. Mrs Rattlecan is working on trying to find another spot for a week or hopefully two .

We will be taking the trailer now that we have a more capable towing vehicle.

Hoping the weather is good always in Feb. there.

One of my best vacation memories is camping in Florida. Playing on the beach was cut short by rain, so we rode bikes in the rain instead while still wearing bathing suits. It wasn’t far from our campsite to a little bodega just outside the park, so we rode there for ice cream and a six-pack of beer. While we were shopping, the rain cleared, and after we got back to the campsite, we built a fire to roast hot dogs. I saw an armadillo mosey through the campsite. 

• Awesome 1
  • Like 1

Noticed you didn’t post which parks. Many are reviewed on Youtube, even drive by of each site. If into mountain biking, Alafia and Santos are the top two destination and both are State Parks with campgrounds. While I haven’t stayed at either - just day trips to bike - was surprised this week when a YouTuber I follow, Today is Someday, listed 11 must see campgrounds (nationwide) and Alafia made the list. Depending on how far south going, Bahia Honda, halfway down the Keys, is perhaps most demand of all State Parks. One that I liked was Anastasia, in St Augustine. Depends on what looking for. Most State Parks will be difficult as snowbirds book maximum stays  year out and move to next reserved. Give some ideas what looking for and can give suggestions.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

Well part of it anyway. Got a camp site booked in a Florida state park for a couple of weeks. Tried for a longer stretch but couldn’t get it. Mrs Rattlecan is working on trying to find another spot for a week or hopefully two .

We will be taking the trailer now that we have a more capable towing vehicle.

A reminder for me to get my ass in gear!  From what I can tell, Florida campgrounds do book up pretty fast, and with a lot of reservation systems tied to a "one year out" rule, it does make planning ahead a good idea.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

A reminder for me to get my ass in gear!  From what I can tell, Florida campgrounds do book up pretty fast, and with a lot of reservation systems tied to a "one year out" rule, it does make planning ahead a good idea.

Yup. The choices were getting pretty slim already. Our first site is in Lake Kissimmee State park for 13 nights and Highland Hammock park for 5 nights.

We are hoping to extend our stay there, but we might have to move again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't have it and would have to research the name, but there is apparently an app that notifies you when a cancellation occurs, even site/lot specific, that helps with these perpetually booked and popular parks. Most cancellations are last minute as plans change making "next weekend" viable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

Yup. The choices were getting pretty slim already. Our first site is in Lake Kissimmee State park for 13 nights and Highland Hammock park for 5 nights.

Lake Kissimmee State Park

This is a very remote park, a good thing, but be aware of it. It is very nice with very large sites giving good separation from neighbors. Wildlife galore!. While does have a camp store, very little outside the gate. I don't recall a gas station/convenience store in the general area. Closest town for stocking up on groceries at Publix is Lake Wales about 18 miles away. Just takes planning. It commemorates Florida's history as the leading supplier of beef - greater than Texas - during the 1850's. A lot of hiking/biking trails, Also, notable is the Cow Camp - visit when ranger (in vintage cowboy garb) staffs it and know nothing since the 1850's as you step back in time. Photos taken in two separate day trips, both January, but different years.

Lake Kissimmee SP - 2500pz-3.JPG

Lake Kissimmee SP-2500px-13.jpg

Lake Kissimmee SP-2500px-15.jpg

Lake Kissimmee SP-2500px-21.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

Highland Hammock

Been to many, many times and a site for family gatherings. Very convenient to Sebring. Very interesting history and established as a CCC work project in the 1930 during the Great Depression. Warning, as walking on the trails and see some native orange trees in the woods, they have gone back to root stock and are tarter than a lemon! I really like the one trail furthest in with walkway over the swamp. If can't extend, others that far south on/near the Gulf Coast is Myakka River SP, convenient to Venice (noted for sharks teeth) and Coral Gables (noted for burrowing owls). On the Atlantic side Sebastian Inlet (at the inlet - not the more interior scrub forest similarly named Sebastion Preserve), Fort Pierce Inlet SP, and Johnathon Dickenson SP.  Those may also be day trips from Highlands Hammock..

Highlands Hammock 2-17 - 2000px-2.jpg

Highlands Hammock 2-17 - 2000px-8.jpg

Highlands Hammock 2-17 - 2000px-13.jpg

DSC_7854.JPG

On 3/23/2023 at 6:26 PM, Tizeye said:

Highland Hammock

Been to many, many times and a site for family gatherings. Very convenient to Sebring. Very interesting history and established as a CCC work project in the 1930 during the Great Depression. Warning, as walking on the trails and see some native orange trees in the woods, they have gone back to root stock and are tarter than a lemon! I really like the one trail furthest in with walkway over the swamp. If can't extend, others that far south on/near the Gulf Coast is Myakka River SP, convenient to Venice (noted for sharks teeth) and Coral Gables (noted for burrowing owls). On the Atlantic side Sebastian Inlet (at the inlet - not the more interior scrub forest similarly named Sebastion Preserve), Fort Pierce Inlet SP, and Johnathon Dickenson SP.  Those may also be day trips from Highlands Hammock..

Highlands Hammock 2-17 - 2000px-2.jpg

Highlands Hammock 2-17 - 2000px-8.jpg

Highlands Hammock 2-17 - 2000px-13.jpg

DSC_7854.JPG

Thanks for that. We were able to extend our stay until the 27th after which we will be heading home.