Laptop bags: Leather or Canvas? Other?

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Thaddeus Kosciuszko,

I once owned a black leather laptop bag years ago that somehow got lost in the shuffle.  I need another laptop bag and am again considering going down that road.  But not only is canvas cheaper it may actually be more practical to use in the PNW.  I don't know.  I seriously doubt I'm going to be out in the rain toting my laptop around so a leather bag should be fine and I kinda like the look and feel of leather myself.  But I don't need anything chinsy like straps breaking and the like.  What say thee?  I'm just looking for a bag that'll hold 15 inch laptop.  Since I don't own many things flashy, I was thinking a durable dark brown leather messenger bag or something might do the trick.  It's sort of my bonus present to myself and I'm tired of using soft, crappy bags the few times I do leave the house and go into the city.

Suggestions?  Looking for something around around $200 or less.  I'm not popping for anything more considering I won't use it much but maybe on vacations or a few times to go to work.  Even if I leave the laptop at home, they are great bags to carry essentials onto an airplane for example.  Think durable and a bit stylish.  Oh and nice design.  I've got ideas but let's read what you folks come up with.

• Heart 1

I'm currently using a Patagonia laptop briefcase, but have a Travelon shoulder tote that I'll use if I'm going into the city.  I used to have leather, but find the cloth/nylon a lot lighter which is good if I'm toting it on the train and walking around the city.  it doesn't matter so much when I'm driving and just walking from the parking lot to the office.

But whatever is going to make your day a little happier is a good choice. :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

I used to do a mix commute into the city and would be on the bus so canvas would make more sense. But now post Covid, parking in the dungeon is free and I’m never outside. I could see carrying it half a block tops in the rain going from car to house. Still if it was canvas I would be better protected 

37 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I'm currently using a Patagonia laptop briefcase, but have a Travelon shoulder tote that I'll use if I'm going into the city.  I used to have leather, but find the cloth/nylon a lot lighter which is good if I'm toting it on the train and walking around the city.  it doesn't matter so much when I'm driving and just walking from the parking lot to the office.

But whatever is going to make your day a little happier is a good choice. :nodhead:

I was looking at some of those Travelon ones. Do you have a preference?

Most of the people I work with are my kids’ age. It’s a very casual environment so I have a canvas and leather laptop backpack. It frees my hands to carry my coffee mug, open doors, elevator buttons, etc. probably not right for a more formal office situation, but to me it’s more practical. 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

I killed at least 2 company laptops with canvas bags.

If I was going to transport my laptop,  I'd go with a hard case to protect the laptop.   I know it's not if I'd drop the bag, it's when it will happen. 

Once the shoulder strap broke.  And that ended the laptop. 

This is what I'd consider. https://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/cases/laptop-cases

If you're not worried about dropping it, any bag big enough and with strong straps should do the trick.

Personally, I use one of those insulated supermarket bags that are about 2' long, 9" wide, and 1.5' high.

It's plenty of room for my 17" laptop, the power cord, a USB 5 TB hard drive, as well as other stuff I may be taking with me, like a flannel shirt in case the place I'm going to use the laptop is a little cold.

I decided on a bag I may send back. Some of them were too big and others I wasn’t sure would even fit my laptop size. Yeah the specs were that bad.  There were some great bags -- but I’m not looking for something to carry a piano in. And I didn’t like some of the saddle bag straps on the messenger bags. Like double straps to tie down a corpse on a gurney. 

At some point I suffered from looking-at-too-many-bags syndrome and finally just put the whole stack of chips down and took a hit. Win or lose I just wanted to quit playing.  Let’s see what the dealer now delivers. What was supposed to be a fun adventure turned into an arduous chore. 

I bought this wretched piece of crap in desperation. The size seemed right.  Doubtful I'll use it much more than going from house to car, from car to garage, from garage to elevator, from elevator to desk, and back again. Occasionally will bring with me on an overnight somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XX8FGR6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

3 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I bought this wretched piece of crap in desperation. The size seemed right.  Doubtful I'll use it much more than going from house to car, from car to garage, from garage to elevator, from elevator to desk, and back again. Occasionally will bring with me on an overnight somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XX8FGR6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

If it smells moldy when it arrives, send it back.  That smell will never go away.  It is common with some Indian leather products. 

• Thank You 1

I used to be a messenger bag guy.  I started with a rugged canvas bag from LL Bean. Then went to leather similar to what you bought but maybe with a bit more room.  I've been using a Wenger backpack for the last several years.  It has held up real well.  

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I used to be a messenger bag guy.  I started with a rugged canvas bag from LL Bean. Then went to leather similar to what you bought but maybe with a bit more room.  I've been using a Wenger backpack for the last several years.  It has held up real well.  

I've had backpacks too.  I agree that they can be very useful but I find that the amount of distance I carry them doesn't seem to be worth the bother to flip it over one shoulder at bare minimum.  In other words, if I had to travel 6 blocks from the train or bus depot to the office then that method of transporting makes sense.  But taking it from the car to the coffee shop or hotel doesn't warrant it. I'm not sure.  To each his/her own I guess. Who knows?  I may go full circle yet. But not this year

• Awesome 1