I Took A Sacred Vow

Razors Edge

...on my ride yesterday and will need the Cafe's support to achieve it.

I state to all those listening here today that I WILL stop at the local Dairy Queen this year (2023) and have something tasty from their menu.

Please offer any suggestions you might have so that when I finally fulfill this vow, I choose the best option available.

Thank you for you support.

• Heart 2
  • Yum 2

6 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

There's a locally owned Dairy Haven near where I often ride. It's been in business for over 75 years. I get an orange twist cone or a chocolate twist cone if it's open when I go by. 

The challenge is that the DQ is about 1 mile from home, so either I pass it at the very start or I pass at the very end. Most likely, in the warmer months, I am sweaty and covered in sunscreen, so it seems unfair to them to have me wander in to the DQ. :D  But, this year, I plan to figure out how to fulfill my vow without scaring all their customers away.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Fortunately for us there isn’t a DQ nearby or we’d go more often.  Heath Bar Blizzard is my go to. 

Definitely a good option.  About 15 yrs ago was my last visit to DQ and I got a Blizzard of some sort.  I'm ready to try another!

webp

• Heart 1

Peanut Buster Parfait is the appropriate end of ride treat.  Don't contaminate it with brownies or crap.

Or.....

Interestingly enough, I remember reading an article about a cycle group in Cali where they would do group rides to these decadent dessert places to sample their gourmet cupcakes or artisan donuts or whatever.  Organizers would do their research beforehand and ensure the ride route had the approximate calorie count to counterbalance the crap they ate on the ride.

• Heart 1

Just now, Zephyr said:

Peanut Buster Parfait is the appropriate end of ride treat.  Don't contaminate it with brownies or crap.

Or.....

Interestingly enough, I remember reading an article about a cycle group in Cali where they would do group rides to these decadent dessert places to sample their gourmet cupcakes or artisan donuts or whatever.  Organizers would do their research beforehand and ensure the ride route had the approximate calorie count to counterbalance the crap they ate on the ride.

We have the donut ride in Toronto and I rode it three times before realizing it was just a hammer fest where rules of the road were not even a consideration and many motorists would get very aggressive.  There were no donuts involved.  It just originated at a donut shop. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

We have the donut ride in Toronto and I rode it three times before realizing it was just a hammer fest where rules of the road were not even a consideration and many motorists would get very aggressive.  There were no donuts involved.  It just originated at a donut shop. 

One of the reasons I don't do a lot of group rides.  Did a few and were not pleased with how they operated on the road

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

@dinneR will also suggest the Peanut Buster Parfait.

I was a big fan of the Dilly Bar as a kid.

I went through a dip cone phase and still like a nice dip cone, with or without nuts.

A Heath bar Blizzard is hard to beat.

I would also look at their combos that include a frozen treat along with some steak or chicken fingers ( a legal disclaimer, neither steaks or chickens have fingers, but the processed meat sticks are mostly made of steak or chicken) some golden fries, some gravy like substance and lots of salt.

• Yum 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Fortunately for us there isn’t a DQ nearby or we’d go more often.  Heath Bar Blizzard is my go to. 

I oscillate between Heath and Butterfinger, but I do sometimes go for their seasonal specialties. Pumpkin Pie with graham cracker crust was awesome!  There were a few other excellent ones that I can’t remember, too, that rewarded me from stepping oot from my delicious rut. :) 

No wonder Warren is so rich!  :D

3 hours ago, Fret Buzz said:

The challenge is that the DQ is about 1 mile from home, so either I pass it at the very start or I pass at the very end. Most likely, in the warmer months, I am sweaty and covered in sunscreen, so it seems unfair to them to have me wander in to the DQ. :D  But, this year, I plan to figure out how to fulfill my vow without scaring all their customers away.

The Dairy Haven has a drive-thru and a walk-up. No inside seating so I don't have to worry about stinking up the place.

• Envious 1

3 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

The Dairy Haven has a drive-thru and a walk-up. No inside seating so I don't have to worry about stinking up the place.

Honestly, the DQ would make a KILLING if they just wheeled a cart out 100' from their storefront and sold stuff out of that.  It's actually a shame more businesses don't (or can't) make use of their location to really drive up sales when the weather is nice and bazillions of folks are out in parks and the trails.

image.thumb.png.abb97b461a470e5250f493dee715eb06.png

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

@dinneR will also suggest the Peanut Buster Parfait.

I was a big fan of the Dilly Bar as a kid.

I went through a dip cone phase and still like a nice dip cone, with or without nuts.

A Heath bar Blizzard is hard to beat.

I would also look at their combos that include a frozen treat along with some steak or chicken fingers ( a legal disclaimer, neither steaks or chickens have fingers, but the processed meat sticks are mostly made of steak or chicken) some golden fries, some gravy like substance and lots of salt.

I like the PB parfait, but the Buster bar is my go to. It's basically a PB Parfait on a stick which allows you to eat while you ride.

Dairy Queen Buster Bar Nutrition Facts

• Heart 1
  • Yum 2

• 6 months later...
On 3/24/2023 at 5:49 AM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I haven’t been to a DQ for years, but Health Blizzard would be a solid choice.

Flash back and you see @Prophet Zacharia either a victim of spell check or pushing an agenda!

Heath Blizzard FTW!!!

On 3/23/2023 at 9:43 AM, Razors Edge said:

But, this year, I plan to figure out how to fulfill my vow without scaring all their customers away.

I figured out I can add the stop at DQ as part of my non-ride day walk!  Normally I head the other direction, but on DQ days, it's a nice 3 mile out-and-back or slightly longer loop option.

Win-Win!

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1