I hate my job

Airehead

I'm sorry for whatever gave rise to this view. You work so hard to try to help so many of the vulnerable of society.  I'm mad at anyone making that harder than it needs to be.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

I was literally singing the same thing. 

“Be it unto me according to your word,” Mary responded when the angel told her that her life as she knew it was changed. 

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

This is a quandary. Why do people both suck and not suck?  

The general rule of thumb is that the larger the group, the worse the suckage.  Individuals are good, but groups suck, so when that individual is behaving in a grouplike way, they begin to suck more and more.  The more incorporated they are in the whole groupthink way, the less they behave like a decent person, and grow to think in massively selfish ways.  Think of that nervous aunt who seemed kind of ok but gradually fell in with evangelicals and conspiracy groups and now posts in FB in all caps and hates everyone not exactly like her (group).  If she suddenly stops being in that group or being online with the dO yOUr ReSearCh crowd, then she would probably revert to baseline and act more like a decent person again, once group cohesion is lost.  It would take some time, though.  Oh, the dumber the people in the group, the worse they are.  I can think of some groups who are like monkeys that suddenly found language and hatred at once.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Random Ungulate said:

The general rule of thumb is that the larger the group, the worse the suckage.  Individuals are good, but groups suck, so when that individual is behaving in a grouplike way, they begin to suck more and more.  The more incorporated they are in the whole groupthink way, the less they behave like a decent person, and grow to think in massively selfish ways.  Think of that nervous aunt who seemed kind of ok but gradually fell in with evangelicals and conspiracy groups and now posts in FB in all caps and hates everyone not exactly like her (group).  If she suddenly stops being in that group or being online with the dO yOUr ReSearCh crowd, then she would probably revert to baseline and act more like a decent person again, once group cohesion is lost.  It would take some time, though.  Oh, the dumber the people in the group, the worse they are.  I can think of some groups who are like monkeys that suddenly found language and hatred at once.

I knew a guy who said he preferred to interact one on one, and that is sort of true for me too. As you add people the constraints start piling up. This one doesn’t like that, that one doesn’t like this, etc. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Ralphie said:

I knew a guy who said he preferred to interact one on one, and that is sort of true for me too. As you add people the constraints start piling up. This one doesn’t like that, that one doesn’t like this, etc. 

I wonder if this is what it will be like if I'm part of tourist travel group next yr. It's been over 35 yrs. since I ever joined any group for a wk. or so.  Other times it was just for 1 full day or travelling with family.

I've heard some good things and occasional not so good.

23 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I’ve taken a couple of bus group tours. It works best for me when I do nothing to draw attention to myself. 

Well, we are talking about a bike trip.  I would need to seriously make sure I'm in shape. I said to friend...well you know we could add on a few days of us doing stuff outside of the group bike trip...  I dunno, we'll so where this goes.  She is a much better cyclist than I (and looks after her bike better. :hapydance:)

We didn't sign up for any multi-hr. 1 day bus tour when we were in Japan. We saw enough different stuff, and did lots just taking walks, local subway and intercity fast trains.  

She was surprised when she and her sister joined a Quebec bike trip  for about  4-5 days.  For whatever reason, the francophones who were Quebecers, shunned them.  She knew they were French-English bilingual but they chose to staunchly speak primarily in French and didn't even want to socialize with her and sister.  When I heard this story it sounded very unusual and strange.

She is Chinese-Canadian and quite assimilated like myself. 

10 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I was literally singing the same thing. 

“Be it unto me according to your word,” Mary responded when the angel told her that her life as she knew it was changed. 

That's the beauty of music, we're all free to interpret what we hear through our own lenses.

Paul was writing about his literal biologic mother, who is named Mary, who as a boy, would come to him in his dreams during hard times.

• Awesome 1

18 hours ago, Randomguy said:

It is only when men run in packs that they lose their sense of decency.