Pyractomena borealis

Allen

16 minutes ago, Allen said:

The first lightning bugs of the season started to display tonight. 
Other Springwood/lightning bug news: the Loopy 5s (my rare ones) are up for being added to the endangered species list. The Georgia DNR is doing a survey of Springwood’s flora and fauna. And UGA will again be conducting classes out here. 

How long does lightning bug season last?

• Heart 1

It comes in stages. P. borealis are the first to appear, they will last a few weeks. Next will be p. pyralis, they have the longest display from late April to September. The big show is late May—June. That’s when the vast majority of the verities display all at once. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Allen said:

It crashes if I put it in a conversation trust, which I’m planing to do. Upside is my land tax is also greatly reduced, and I can apply the lost land value to my income tax for 10 years. As for usage, I will not be able to develop or subdivide the estate (wasn’t planning on it), but I can still build whatever on existing home sites, and plant whatever in my fields. Won’t be able to log the forest (wasn’t planning on doing that either).

Yeah, I knew you weren’t ever going to develop the property.  Do you have family to leave it to? 

32 minutes ago, Allen said:

It crashes if I put it in a conversation trust, which I’m planing to do. Upside is my land tax is also greatly reduced, and I can apply the lost land value to my income tax for 10 years. As for usage, I will not be able to develop or subdivide the estate (wasn’t planning on it), but I can still build whatever on existing home sites, and plant whatever in my fields. Won’t be able to log the forest (wasn’t planning on doing that either).

That's great, to have that "cushion" for awhile. After 10 yrs., reapply or land tax exemption just goes away?

The good thing is that you really providing access for scientific studies.

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

That's great, to have that "cushion" for awhile. After 10 yrs., reapply or land tax exemption just goes away?

The good thing is that you really providing access for scientific studies.

Taxes will always be lowered once in the trust. 
And thank you. 

• Heart 1

I just love that Springwood is such a haven for the lightning bugs and other wildlife.  It is wonderful that such a precious piece of property is in the hands of someone who truly values the scientific significance and cares about maintaining it for this purpose.

I love hearing about the scientific research done on the property.  Thanks for sharing these stories with us.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1