If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid....

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

That's not stupid. I designed something similar years ago for my truck, but I built mine out of PT wood. I like yours better. I might build that. Thanks. :)

Just be aware PVC and UV light don't play nice. Everything I've ever made out of the stuff for outdoor use has eventually fallen apart. This stuff is recycled from another project. Maybe different grades of PVC and different glues might be better.

I'm going to add wheels to the ends of the outriggers, so I can pull the whole thing out onto the tailgate, load the bike, then push it back in. If I want to get fancy, I may hook it to the tailgate, so that when I open it, it moves the rack.
  • Heart 2

Just be aware PVC and UV light don't play nice. Everything I've ever made out of the stuff for outdoor use has eventually fallen apart. This stuff is recycled from another project. Maybe different grades of PVC and different glues might be better.

I'm going to add wheels to the ends of the outriggers, so I can pull the whole thing out onto the tailgate, load the bike, then push it back in. If I want to get fancy, I may hook it to the tailgate, so that when I open it, it moves the rack.

Is indirect light a problem or just direct?  My truck stays in a carport most of the time.  

I was going to build another wooden one where it was just going to be a skid with upright supports and eyes screwed in to allow bungee cords to hold the bike in position.  Your's is probably better, but I certainly wouldn't want the joints to fail during transport.  

Is indirect light a problem or just direct? My truck stays in a carport most of the time.

I certainly wouldn't want the joints to fail during transport.

I'm kind of guessing. All I know is that when I used PVC for trellises, they lasted about two seasons and then the joints slowly started coming apart. At first, I thought I'd forgotten to glue one. Then another came apart. Then another....

It's not like it's going to,catastrophically fail at 60 MPH and your bike will go flying out. (If it does, get video)

Working on PVC irrigation systems at work, the sun will eventually break the plastic down to almost a dust. The plastic gets weak then expands and contracts with the temps until the joints fail.
X3 rattle can paint it to match your truck. :)

Huh. Thanks for corroborating my half-assed theory.

It already matches my truck - it's white.

I used one of the below, screwed to a 2" x 4" which spanned the width of the bed.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FThule-821-Rider-Bicycle-Mount%2Fdp%2FB000QV3NWU&ei=sCKnVKnBMY75yQTAz4LgBw&psig=AFQjCNG07OVaN8xIM2oC_8TqXr8cnohOLg&ust=1420325930460016

I now have it bolted to a piece of aluminum channel which attached to the seat mount inside the ManVan.

Use the Grey PVC conduit for exterior elec. runs. That stuff is made for above or bleow grade and has a high UV resistance.

Clever idea. I like the thought of casters/wheels to roll the thing in/out (burger) of the bed.

I used one of the below, screwed to a 2" x 4" which spanned the width of the bed.

I had a similar setup for my other truck, except that I made mine like an uppercase "I" - the other two pieces kept it from sliding back and forth. They were the exact distance in length between the front of the box and the wheel well.

I have a hitch rack for my road bikes and 29'er, but am too lazy/cheap to buy the upgraded mounts for the fatbike. (No way in hell do 4" tires fit....")

I had a similar setup for my other truck, except that I made mine like an uppercase "I" - the other two pieces kept it from sliding back and forth. They were the exact distance in length between the front of the box and the wheel well.
I have a hitch rack for my road bikes and 29'er, but am too lazy/cheap to buy the upgraded mounts for the fatbike. (No way in hell do 4" tires fit....")

My bed had indents in which a nominal 4" board fit perfectly.

It looks quite clever yet practical, and better yet cost next to nothing since you already had the materials.

However I am somewhat dismayed over the less than complimentary words regarding engineers.  I think I'm going to call a meeting with some other engineers I know.  We'll analyze what needs to be done, come up with a critical path schedule to implement it, and create a bunch of spreadsheets and graphs to keep everything on course.

We'll have a corrective action plan for everyone here to review and approve, say, in about six weeks or so.

;)

• Heart 1

It looks quite clever yet practical, and better yet cost next to nothing since you already had the materials.

However I am somewhat dismayed over the less than complimentary words regarding engineers.  I think I'm going to call a meeting with some other engineers I know.  We'll analyze what needs to be done, come up with a critical path schedule to implement it, and create a bunch of spreadsheets and graphs to keep everything on course.

We'll have a corrective action plan for everyone here to review and approve, say, in about six weeks or so.

;)

That means I'll have the shelf my cold fusion demo scheduled for next week.