California Drought? Hmmmmm... Record snow. Full reservoirs. It was time.

Dottleshead

Just what California needs - a reason for folks to move back. :(  They had perfected the whole "no water to survive" mentality after the "earthquakes will kill you" strategy started to fade. I bet @ChrisL is wondering if there can be a better one deployed ASAP?

1 hour ago, Fret Buzz said:

Just what California needs - a reason for folks to move back. :(  They had perfected the whole "no water to survive" mentality after the "earthquakes will kill you" strategy started to fade. I bet @ChrisL is wondering if there can be a better one deployed ASAP?

The crime wave.  Stay away, as roaming bands of criminals will get you! 

This has been a crazy winter though. 2-3 days of steady rain weekly for the past few months is not the norm by any means.  We have rain forecasted again for the middle of next week. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

California should build a lot more reservoirs for years such as this. It would help during the more numerous dry years.

Sounds reasonable right? Except this was one of those winters that comes along every 30 - 50 years.  I haven’t checked the data recently but I read somewhere this was the second wettest winter in recorded history.  

I think if we built more reservoirs they’d just be dry holes 90% of the time… The water has to come from somewhere and it’s usually the Colorado River or the CA Aquaduct which are already hard pressed to supply enough water to meet demands most of the time.  Under normal conditions there just isn’t enough rain & snowpack to fill existing  reservoirs let alone new ones.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

California should build a lot more reservoirs for years such as this. It would help during the more numerous dry years.

I read a couple articles about trying to capture this water & divert them directly to the aquifers. IDK the exact procedure but it sounds reasonable & cheaper than dams. Fish kills with dams is a thing

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Fish kills with dams is a thing

And I read an essay published in the NYT this week about the problem of massive amounts of silt built up beneath Glen Canyon Dam. It will compromise the power turbines in the near future. It was a good “sentry function” piece of journalism, alerting us to the problem while there’s time to address a solution. 

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The crime wave.  Stay away, as roaming bands of criminals will get you! 

This has been a crazy winter though. 2-3 days of steady rain weekly for the past few months is not the norm by any means.  We have rain forecasted again for the middle of next week. 

They should copy Baltimore and forbid the police to approach anyone "just because they look suspicious!"

The murder rate went from the 100's to the 300's - though most are druggies shooting each other - and many excellent minority-owned restaurants have gone out of business because fewer people want to be on Baltimore's streets at night away from downtown.

18 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

They should copy Baltimore and forbid the police to approach anyone "just because they look suspicious!"

The murder rate went from the 100's to the 300's - though most are druggies shooting each other - and many excellent minority-owned restaurants have gone out of business because fewer people want to be on Baltimore's streets at night away from downtown.

It’s like that everywhere. Sadly.

56 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

This isn't going to fix CA long term but I gotsta think the next year couple of years there's going to be some relief.

Absolutely.  It will stave off drought for a few years.  What chaps my hide is they lift water restrictions when we have water.  Great, now we’ll be back in drought in 3 years instead of 5.  Water restrictions should just be the norm…

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Absolutely.  It will stave off drought for a few years.  What chaps my hide is they lift water restrictions when we have water.  Great, now we’ll be back in drought in 3 years instead of 5.  Water restrictions should just be the norm…

Hey - that fancy Mazda ain't gonna wash itself - every weekend - now will it???

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Absolutely.  It will stave off drought for a few years.

Not sure if you are close to any of the "Shroom Blooms" from the rains boosting the mushrooms in CA:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/the-essential-guide-to-californias-super-shroom

Just now, Fret Buzz said:

Hey - that fancy Mazda ain't gonna wash itself - every weekend - now will it???

My fancy Mazda has been a mess for months.  No sense washing it with all of the rain.

Cool fancy car tidbit.  I don’t have to turn on/off my windshield wipers as they have rain sensors.  They work great too as just at that point you want to reach for the column they kick on.  Just at that point you want to turn them off they do so on their own.