My new to me phrase for the day - cri de couer

Ralphie

2 hours ago, Fret Buzz said:

Says EVERY single person you ever talk to about it :D 

I have hereditary high cholesterol. Can't be controlled by diet. I also can't take statins. I'm on Repatha now and it's got my numbers the lowest in my life. I have to give myself a shot every two weeks, but it's totally worth it.  

• Heart 1
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I ran into trouble as a student because I didn't know another French word for "cry."

I took a college French 202 class that had only 5 students: four cute girls and me. I loved it except for five days.

The class was held late in the day, around 4 pm, on Mon-Tues-Thurs-Fri. I worked on campus and could put in a couple hours in the chem lab until it was time for class, so I was always on campus at class time but FIVE times the I was the only one who showed up for class because of the time or homework difficulty and the professor held the whole hour long class for one student and I had to handle all the questions.

There is a French lyric poem by Paul Verlaine from the 1800's that begins, "Il pleure dans mon cœur, comme il pleut sur la ville."

I thought it meant, "It rains in my heart, like it rains on the town," because I knew "il pleut" means "It rains," and figured pleure was some 19th Century thing that meant rain and didn't bother looking it up.

But "pleure" means "cries," so I screwed up giving my interpretation of the poem - a class where ALL communication had to occur in French so I really stumbled.  The professor wasn't too hard on me since I was the only student who bothered to show up.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, UglyBob said:

I have hereditary high cholesterol. Can't be controlled by diet. I also can't take statins. I'm on Repatha now and it's got my numbers the lowest in my life. I have to give myself a shot every two weeks, but it's totally worth it.  

Dietary cholesterol is a relatively small player in heart disease. It is like you say, genetic high cholesterol.  So says my doctor.  He is far more concerned with triglycerides from dietary choices.