Noise cancelling adjustments and the “open floor plan”

Ralphie

My noise canceling headphones work VERY well!  So well that when I am not listening to music then they are TOO quiet. There are three settings -high, low, and none. Low lets me very faintly hear the tv in the next room. Maybe I need to find some nature sounds.

This brings up the much ballyhooed “open floor plan”.  Are these all bought by first timers?  Our house is standard 80s, so only partially open, with the kitchen, family room, and add-on sunroom all open to each other. When I sit in the sunroom the tv noise from the family room always bleeds over.  Openness also means noisiness!

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, Fret Buzz said:

Get her the headphones for watching TV and enjoy the sunroom without all that racket from the family room!

The new hospital I was in benefitted enormously from having the tv sound come from a handset! What a welcome change from the battalion of blaring tvs in old school hospitals!   

i just installed the “Atmosoheres” sound app. Right now I have a lot going on. Melody, river, campfire, ducks, and barn owl. :D

1 minute ago, Ralphie said:

The new hospital I was in benefitted enormously from having the tv sound come from a handset! What a welcome change from the battalion of blaring tvs in old school hospitals!   

Very easy to add to a home TV.

A nice thing about the Apple TV is it automatically works with AirPods, so I can be in the kitchen doing dishes, and still listen clearly to a bike race on TV.

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Ralphie said:

My noise canceling headphones work VERY well!  So well that when I am not listening to music then they are TOO quiet. There are three settings -high, low, and none. Low lets me very faintly hear the tv in the next room. Maybe I need to find some nature sounds.

This brings up the much ballyhooed “open floor plan”.  Are these all bought by first timers?  Our house is standard 80s, so only partially open, with the kitchen, family room, and add-on sunroom all open to each other. When I sit in the sunroom the tv noise from the family room always bleeds over.  Openness also means noisiness!

My house is the standard late 40's suburbia mini-Cape Cod with a central hallway and rooms radiating from it except the living room leads to the kitchen and hallway.

The contactor made the doorway between the living room and kitchen wider than what was there before so parties can be held in both rooms with a lot of interaction between them.