I Now Understand Jsharr!

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Square Wheels,

...just a little bit more. He is an EDC kind of guy!!!!

Taylor Martin is known for having deep pockets.

In a video last year, Mr. Martin, a popular YouTuber, showed off a folding knife, flashlight, multitool, wallet—among the stuff he carries every day. It drew 200,000 views. 

Mr. Martin is a leading light among people who take an unusual pride in what they tote around daily. There are those of us who never seem to have a pen handy when we need it, and then there are devotees of EDC, short for “everyday carry.” EDC began as a practical point of pride and has evolved in recent years into a competitive preoccupation, with participants who empty their pockets to display all manner of writing instruments, trinkets, flashlights, pint-size tools, coins, handkerchiefs and more. Need a tiny doodad to tighten the screws on eyeglasses? They probably have it. (Phones don’t count.) The hashtag #pocketdump has elicited more than 1.6 million posts on Instagram. And many EDCers attend in-person events to peruse the latest gear.

Mr. Martin invites like-minded hobbyists to submit photos of things they carry around. A lucky few are selected to empty their pockets for a weekly video aired on his YouTube channel, which is called Best Damn EDC and has 321,000 followers.

The EDC bug is believed to have originated in law enforcement and the military, professions noteworthy for specialized gear. Many in the pastime now lean more to fashion than utilitarian or self-defense preparedness, says Mr. Martin, 32 years old, of Concord, N.C.

“I think a lot of us do this as a form of expression,” says 25-year-old Zach Demchuk, an export-documentation coordinator who lives in Cheney, Wash. “You really can make a carry that reflects you as a person, and that’s one thing that keeps me coming back to this hobby.”

im-742234?width=700&size=1.5005861664712

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I usually carry a knife.  Nothing fancy. Never carry a gun.  I have a flashlight in my computer bag

Nothing else from the basic list: all manner of writing instruments, trinkets, flashlights, pint-size tools, coins, handkerchiefs and more.

Spring-assist pocket knife in the right front.  I can draw it one handed and have it opened in front of you in less than a second.  Flashlight is on the phone (left from pocket).  Writing instruments in the backpack along with everything else needed for mobile work (earpiece, multiple power...).

No need for trinkets.

Here is my usual EDC knife, CRKT Argus.  Sending it back to factory for some repair

CRKT Argus Folder | Knives | Folding Knives | Drop

While that is being repaired I am carrying a CJRB Feldspar.

J1912GYC-2.jpg

Here is the knife that stays in my computer back
SC-2141OT.jpg

I have a few others around but these are close to me most of the time.

• Heart 1

Your CRKT Argus is an interesting knife.  Can you move the thumb disk to the opposite side for left hand open?  I like an EDC with a smaller blade.  Mine is 2.4 inches.  Daughter#3's boyfriend has a sweet EDC with a 1" blade.  I'm not sure of its make and model

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Your CRKT Argus is an interesting knife.  Can you move the thumb disk to the opposite side for left hand open?  I like an EDC with a smaller blade.  Mine is 2.4 inches.  Daughter#3's boyfriend has a sweet EDC with a 1" blade.  I'm not sure of its make and model

No, the thumb disk has to be on the right was moving it disengages a pin that holds the blade closed.  It is sort of like flicking a BIC lighter to open.  Took some getting used to.  I got it on close out and it is no longer made.  I love the shape of the blade.  By far my favorite knife.  I hope that CRKT can repair it.  

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

No, the thumb disk has to be on the right was moving it disengages a pin that holds the blade closed.  It is sort of like flicking a BIC lighter to open.  Took some getting used to.  I got it on close out and it is no longer made.  I love the shape of the blade.  By far my favorite knife.  I hope that CRKT can repair it.  

I like the forefinger indent at the base of the blade.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

I still have no idea why anyone would need to carry a knife with them, but this is pretty cool.  Now I am pissed at you because I want one!

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I still have no idea why anyone would need to carry a knife with them, but this is pretty cool.  Now I am pissed at you because I want one!

This weekends camping knife

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I will send you one of my knives.  Maybe the blue Feldspar

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I have carried a pocket knife since I was a kid. The only time I didn't carry a knife was shortly after 9-11.

It's a tool. You could carry one on your keyring or one on your hip. It's still a tool.

• Solution

Not judging, just trying to understand.  I don't like carrying things I don't need regularly.  I don't understand a woman's pocketbook.  They have stuff they haven't used in days or weeks.

I have almost never thought, gee I could use a knife for that.

What do you find to do with it?

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Not judging, just trying to understand.  I don't like carrying things I don't need regularly.  I don't understand a woman's pocketbook.  They have stuff they haven't used in days or weeks.

I have almost never thought, gee I could use a knife for that.

I am of a similar feeling. I look at a knife and think that sooner or later there will be an accident. 

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Cut stuff.  I carry one but I don’t use it every day.  I do fine it handy several times a week.  I only carry when I leave the house.  When working in the garage or outside I have a couple utility knives in the garage and the shed.  When working in my workshop I have a handy folding one hand flip utility handy.

9 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Yeah. That's my challenge - can't figure out why I need something in my pocket that I never use. Heck, I culled my wallet down to almost nothing since I realized I didn't need all that stuff in it.  Less is more!