Did you ever

maddmaxx

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Stop to think that there are people who get paid big bucks to analyze exactly where in any given TV show is the best place to put a commercial.

I record by DVR episodes of Scorpion on cable's Pop TV, which shows 12 episodes on Sundays. The hour show is actually 44 minutes long.

There are 3 commercial breaks, 4 minutes, 5 minutes, and 6 minutes long.  It's nice and convenient only have to fast forward through the commercials 3x.

I wonder if they group them because they figure people will do other things when the first commercial starts but don't want to miss the return to the show so they pay attention to the later commercials.

• Heart 1

What gets me is when you stream a show with the knowledge it will have some commercials, but they don’t put the commercials in the pauses already created in the show! It will fade out then back in where a commercial SHOULD be, then shortly after they abruptly cut to a commercial in a way that completely breaks the flow of the show. 

I became a hobby student of advertising and propaganda.  It started in high school after reading one of the books by Vance Packard about subliminal advertising hidden in ice cubes in drinks in liquor commercials and in the strands of models hair in ads for cars and many other things.  I began to realize that there was a lot of science hanging around Madison Ave.  It's a fascinating business that often recruits the best and the brightest from various college campuses.

Of course, since the 60's the science and the practitioners of the art have become better and more invasive in our lives.  Ads, in theory, are no longer allowed to use many of these subliminal messages..........they no longer need to be that crude. They use data that we freely give up without realizing what we are giving.