Bono may never play again after bicycle crash

Road Runner

Bikes are evil.   :angry:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/bono-play-guitar-article-1.2063693

The Irish rocker broke his left shoulder in three places, shattered his left upper arm, and broke a bone in the orbit of his left eye in the brutal wreck, which doctors said occurred when he swerved to avoid another rider.

Surgeons at New York-Presbyterian needed five hours, three metal plates and 18 screws to knit the mangled frontman back together.

• Like 1

I can't recall ever seeing him play guitar, but then I am not a U2 fan.

Me neither.  But I was really more concerned about warning our members about the hazards of riding evil bicycles than about the possible loss of Bono's guitar playing skills.  :)

• Like 1

Me neither.  But I was really more concerned about warning our members about the hazards of riding evil bicycles than about the possible loss of Bono's guitar playing skills.  :)

Roads are indeed hard!  I try to stay as safe as possible by not riding in groups or all that fast, which is a snap. :D

I was walking along a road shoulder yesterday, and I was struck by the thought that this may be why we ride WITH traffic - facing it we would realise that, holy shit, we are riding inches away from 60 MPH behemoths!

• Like 1

He played? I thought he just half assed danced around the stage while singing poorly

Bono says:

"Recovery has been more difficult than I thought... As I write this, it is not clear that I will ever play guitar again," he said, adding that his bandmates "have reminded me that neither they nor Western civilization are depending on this."

• Like 2

He played? I thought he just half assed danced around the stage while singing poorly

He started playing guitar when the band started out until the others sat him down and told him to quit and focus on singing.  Laughs.

He may not be Stevie Ray or Eddie but he's been known to play with the band.  I may not dig their style of music much these days but I have to give credit where credit is due.  I think the Joshua Tree was one of the best albums ever recorded.  Sure, he comes off as a little pretentious with his "causes" but I think he does more good for society than a lot of "rock stars".

• Like 3

Initially Bono sang, played guitar and wrote the band's songs. He said of his early guitar playing in a 1982 interview, "When we started out I was the guitar player, along with the Edge—except I couldn't play guitar. I still can't. I was such a lousy guitar player that one day they broke it to me that maybe I should sing instead. I had tried before, but I had no voice at all. I remember the day I found I could sing. I said, 'Oh, that's how you do it.'".[49] When The Edge's guitar playing improved, Bono was relegated mostly to the microphone, although he occasionally still plays rhythm guitar and harmonica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bono

• Like 1