Exasperating remotes and instruction manuelles - my VHS to DVD experience

Ralphie

This 4 year old Toshiba DVD recorder has an LED display that will only display time recorded, but I think I have now fingered out that it is total time on the disc, so knowing the capacity, which I also just fingered out how to change (it was defaulted to LP which is 4 hours, but I now got it set to SLP which is 8 hours per disc) (VHS quality should still be well below that), it should be a simple matter of subtraction from 8 hours.  But even better, if I press the "Display" button on the remote, it gives me both. B)  Took me long enough to finger that out!

My frustration is that the quick start guide shows how to set the recording quality mode, but the instruction manual mentions it without giving the details on how to set it.  In a similar vein, the instruction manuelle also says that the LED display is also capable of displaying about 5 different things, like the clock or time recorded or time remaining, but so far no clue how to achieve that.  Who writes this schitt?!

(First world problemo, I 'spose. :D)

We don't watch our TV or DVR enough to even remember how to use the remotes. Sometimes my wife grabs the remote and starts pressing buttons. Sometimes we'll get the sound and not the picture. Sometimes vice versa. Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to figure out what she did to get it to work again.

Its like the old joke, "What does this button do?"  :flames: 

As VHS tape is so 80s, DVD is so 90s, Ralph.

Get with the program and convert all of this to digital stored on a nice NAS appliance. ;)

P.S.  Then again, Emanuelle is so 70's, so maybe you're just stuck in the past forever.  :D

synology_diskstation_ds412_plus_4-bay_na

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is going to cost a shitload more than DVDs, right?  Hmm - if I figure a 1 TB drive costs aboot $100, that is 200 DVDs, so roughly the same cost as DVDs but I would guess slightly less reliability and lifetime.  Of course I am not using 100 year archival DVDs. I saw an ad where they charge $20 per tape to convert and store it on those.

We don't watch our TV or DVR enough to even remember how to use the remotes. Sometimes my wife grabs the remote and starts pressing buttons. Sometimes we'll get the sound and not the picture. Sometimes vice versa. Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to figure out what she did to get it to work again.

Its like the old joke, "What does this button do?"  :flames: 

Not the red one!  NEVER press the red one!