It's very sad

AirwickWithCheese

So my neighbor who got in trouble with the Feds now has the for sale sign in front of their home. Gone are the dozens of FedEx, UPS, and USPS trucks that constantly picked up and delivered in their driveway.

The sadest reminder that things are changing was yesterday morning. I had the window to my bedroom open taking advantage of Indian Summer. I heard the side gate opening and closing to their backyard and a female say, "this is just beautiful."

I listened close and heard light barking from Harley and Bailey. They are my neighbors retrievers and have been my neighbor pets since they moved to our neighborhood 5 years ago.

Harley is mean, or I should say trys to sound mean. He roamed his backyard and constantly barks and fights with my Edgar. It is just male ego and protecting their territory but neither my Edgar or Harley has ever stepped paw on the other's property.

I watched my very sick Airwick spend what would be the last 5 minutes of his life running down the side of the fence letting Harley know this was his land and he would always be in charge. By the time I could scoop up my Airwick he was gasping for air, shaking from weakness, but confident he had once and for all saved me from the evil Harley.

Airwick died in my arms 5 minutes later and was buried in his backyard.

I took Edgar out for a walk and then out in the backyard yesterday to conduct his business. He's on leash when out in the backyard because he can hop the front fence like Steve McQueen when he feels the spirit.

There at the corner of our backyard you could see Harley and Bailey confined to a new makeshift pen to keep them from protecting their yard from potential buyers. It was wrenching hearing Bailey whinr and the very proud and strong Harley going through the motions of warning Edgar. Sad even more so knowing they will soon be gone and gone with them another tie to my Airwick.

I saw my neighbor's car leave their driveway tonight after a quick check in with the retrievers. I gave a smile and a wave but couldn't see inside since their Mercedes

• Heart 1

has tinted windows. I could hear Bailey crying and whimpering, the crying of confusion and sadness. It's 3 am and I've occasionally heard her whimpering throughout the night. It's been a very long time since we've heard any sounds from the proud Harley.

I want to go hug them, thank them for all the fun, barking, fighting......just to let them know it'll be ok and they will be fine wherever life takes them.

The truth is I don't know that though and life will not be the same for Edgar, Philly Cheese, Sam, and me.

Sam took up Airwick's mantle of harassing Harley along the fence. We all will feel this loss.

It won't be the same. :(

God be with you Harley and Bailey. We love you.

The Chrrsewick family.

• Heart 2

Thanks everyone.

I was so depressed I let the boys, Phillip Edmund Cheese and Sam, into the bedroom last night. Pets always had access to the bedroom until we adopted Sam last year and Philly began whizzing on the bed to reserve his spot beside me and to spite Sam.

So no bedroom for a year but last night I said heck with it. I carried PC and gave him the coveted spot hoping to prevent a pee spree.

I think it worked. :)

I ususaly give you a bad time about your posts but not this time.

I am saddened by your loss and hope you can work your way thru your loss.

your dog was a good dog as are they all...I dont have the words.....but your loss has brought tears to my eyes...

sorry sir......

We passed a house while walking Blondie (my dog before Lucy) and this scruffy mutt was in the front yard.  The dog wasn't on a lead or anything and came up to us.  Blondie and "Scruffy" stared at each other then "Scruffy" stretched her front legs out and stuck her butt up in the air, the International Dog language sign for "Lets Play".  Blondie was too old to play so she went over and sniffed Scruffy's butt.   "Scruffy" got up and they snuffed butts and noses until Scruffy's mom called him to come in.  We continued on the walk and Blondie kept looking back to see her new friend. 

After that encounter Blondies tail would always start wagging when we got close to the house.  As we passed she look over to the back yard to see her friend.  If Scruffy was in the back yard she'd stop and stare.  They never got to sniff each other but they always seemed excited to see each other.

One day we were walking past the house and there was a "For Rent" sign in the front lawn.  The house was vacant and Scruffy was gone.  For the next three years Blondies tail would start wagging as we aproached the house and she'd check out the fence as we passed.  She never got to see her friend again but she never gave up hope that Scruffy would be there.

• Heart 1

Well, like tonight. I get home at 8:00.... usually for the past 5 years Harley and Bailey are barking with sheer hatred at their fence. I go inside, let Sam outside and he runs straight to the fence to right the wrong.

Tonight, complete silence. Not even whining. :(

• 5 weeks later...