Now this just sucks!

Ralphie

Checked the oil in the van - very low.  That is very unusual since even at 270k miles, it burns almost none and I stay on top of it.  So when I put the dipstick back, the darn dipstick tube is loose!  I get out the trouble light and check it out - the tube comes right out, and there is a bracket with a bolt hole but no bolt.  )(*&^%$!  This must be leftover from the last timing belt change, at a garage that is now out of busyness.  I can;t see to get the thing seated, let alone ever having a prayer of getting a new bolt in there!  ()*&(&^%! 

And the killer is this is right next to a belt, so if that baby comes loose at speed, very bad news!

_)(_)(*&^!

This is why I keep a massive collection of bolts and screws.  Just try different bolts until you determine the thread, then buy a bolt that won't bottom out.  Use a flat and a lock just to be safe.

The big challenge is going to be working blind.  I need a mirror - I might have bought one of those ages ago.  I do have some cool grabby tools that I live to use. :D  Just yesterday it was fun to use the grabber in the hardware store to get my furnace filter off the top shelf :D  I was aboot to use their ladder when I spotted the grabber. :D

Oh yeah - that diagram is for a 2002 - my 1999 has a curved tube, but hopefully the bolt specs are the same.

$29k!  Are you daft? :D Going to the hardware store now to look for a bolt.  I got the tube back in aboot where the bolt hole lines up as near as I can tell, but now it shows no oil level at all. :angry: 

$29k!  Are you daft? :D Going to the hardware store now to look for a bolt.  I got the tube back in aboot where the bolt hole lines up as near as I can tell, but now it shows no oil level at all. :angry:

I would not drive it to the store to get a new bolt with no oil in it, but that's just me.

I would not drive it to the store to get a new bolt with no oil in it, but that's just me.

I must not have re-inserted it all the way because it first showed a touch of oil, then none.  I farmed it out to a pro (after driving ANOTHER ancient Honda to the hardware store to buy a bolt and an inspection mirror and adding a quart or so of earl for good measure). 

That's what you get for low bidding your contractors. They have to leave something out in order to make money.

They prolly drained 3 quarts of oil out of your vehicle to run their shop heater.

While you're at it I'd check your ATF, it's prolly just CO2 & water & up their flue by now.