Weekend update

Parsnip Totin Jack

Got back from VA last night, what a drive.  We drove out on Wednesday to see my Mom for the New Years weekend.  We left Ohio-sucks at 3 am to get a good start, twas a good idea as there was no traffic at all other than truckers.  In Washington PA we stopped for a breakfast and a family came in.  Mom, Dad and three young-ens.  Two boys who looked a year apart and an infant.  They were seated behind me but my wife was facing them.  My wife commented on how well behaved the two boys were.  When we paid up my wife gave our waitress $30 to apply to ther bill.

Instead of taking the usual route (79 south to Morgantown) we changed things up and took 43 (toll road) down to Uniontown and picked up 40 south to join 68 east of Morgantown.  That was nice, long rolling hills.  After we merged onto Rt70 in MD, we exited at Hagerstown and went south to Sharpsburg and crossed the Potomac into Shepherdstown WV.  I had been looking at properties in Sheherdstown as a possible relocation site when we can leave the great state of Ohio-sucks.  We walked the downtown area, picked up coffee and espresso at the Lost Dog.  They have a sign posted that reads, "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who drink espresso and the rest of you sorry bastards".  Across from the university we saw a house for sale.  It was built in 1895 and in places we could see the original logs used to build it.  The foundation is the original rockwall built onto solid rock.  The town run is behind the house and descends, in several falls, about 20 feet.  The town run flows into the Potomac about three blocks to the north.  The house is nice but the price was a little high ($295K) for our budget.

New Years Eve we took Mom out to dinner to a chinese restaurant.  Mom seems to be getting worse.  She keeps talking about how "they" are still getting into her condo when she's not there and taking things.  "They" is my older sister and her daughter.  Mom said "they" came in and drank a bottle of wine and left the empty bottle behind.  Mom swears she didn't drink it.  She saved the bottle to have the police dust it for fingerprints.

New Years Day I took the bike out and rode from Oakton down to DC, around the Capitol building, down Pennsylvania Ave, thru Georgetown, across Key Bridge and took the Custis trail back to the W&OD trail to Oakton.  Total miles was 53, it was sunny but cold.  I tried to watch the Winter Classic but everytime I looked at the tv there was no hockey just commentators commentating.  My cousin's daughter and her fiance came over for dinner.  I made salad, crabcakes and stir-fried snowpeas with bean sprouts.  

Ohio doesn't suck.  just say'n...

Yeah, you are just in a sucky part, O#7.  Cleveland is nicer, of course.

Are you going to definitely move to a cold backwater near the east coast when you leave sucksville?  I think you have to be a few hundred miles inland at least not to be considered as living on the coast, btw.

Owning a property with its own waterfall sounds pretty cool! :nod head:  Living in Shepherdstown would put you just across the Potomac from the C&O trail, which I think you'd like.  Not far from Antietam, which I'd suggest is worth a visit if you have time and are out that way again.

The house also looks like it's near the Rumsey Monument, an early American mechanical engineer who invented a version of the steam boat.

I would retire to Shep town. I lived in Charles Town and Harpers Ferry when I was an undergrad in Frederick, MD. I taught for a few years in Harpers Ferry. The area is getting way too congested these days.

My first husband is buried in Shep town. Might be odd to retire there for my current husband.

• Heart 1