Saguaro Lake 200k brevet

az_cyclist

I knew there would be a few from our club riding this brevet, which makes it nice

It was cold when we started in Fountain Hills, AZ, about 29 F.  I was wearing bibs, lycra knee warmers, short sleeve base layer, short sleeved jersey, wool arm warmers, lined vest, ear warmers, and full fingered gloves with glove liners.  I also had hand warmers for the first part of the ride.  After a quick meeting the brevet started with a few rollers, then a downhill over the Verde River.  I heard later the temp was 22 F at that point, about 8 miles into the ride. At that point the sun was up and we were starting to climb, which helped build some heat.  We were riding east northeast toward the Superstition Mts and the Mazatal Mtns.  

We turned right on the Bush Hwy, which ran along Saguaro Lake.  It was a bit hazy, and the route went up and down hills (but you could not call them rollers).  At about 24 miles we started to climb Usury Pass, a 4 mile climb with grades from 4 - 8%.  I pulled down my arm warmers for the climb.  The first control point was at the top.  We regrouped there, then got ready for a downhill, which meant zipping up jackets and vests, etc.  There was another control point at 48 miles. After that control point we had the 8-mile downhill that we had climbed earlier, then lunch at the start point. 

It felt warmer after lunch (this was between 1230 and 1,  We had to clime a few hills to start the afternoon loop, then  a stretch that alternated between flat and gently 1-2% climbs.  at 90 miles we started more climbs, including 4 miles @ 4% at 100 miles.  The last control point was at 104 miles, after which we had about 10 miles or so of a nice downhill. At that control point I put on all my cold weather gear again, which I was glad I did. 

The 5 of us returned to the finish together as a group.  It was my first official RUSA brevet.  We had one more regroup.... at the Burger King next to the parking lot :)

Thanks SW.  I guess I could have put the Strava or Garmin connect link for the route.

it is funny....the coldest rides I have ever ridden have all been in Arizona, in the Phoenix area.  As wild as this seems, the reason is simple.  When the temps here dip down from the mid 30's to the mid 20's (mid 20's are very rare) it is still dry, and you can ride. Therefore it pays to invest in winter cycling clothes.