I Feel So Chastened.....

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

I took off from 12/18 - 1/5. By using vacation time in conjunction with the holidays, I was able to string together 16 days in a row, off. The day I left, I filled out the form and emailed it to my supervisor.

Or so I thought.

Turns out I f'ed up something in Outlook and it sat in my outbox. They tried calling me on the 29th, but since I thought they wanted me to come in, I didn't answer.

Yesterday I got frog-marched down to HR and got read the riot act. I explained what had happened. Not sure if they believed me or not. I was told my uber-boss would be making the call as to what to do with me. Apparently I wasn't penitent enough because as I was leaving the HR bitch (I'd call her what she really is, but if FY were to read this, she'd get offended) said "Well, you're saying you're sorry, but your body language is saying you're not..." I turned to her and said: "It was an honest mistake. I did something dumb not something wrong..."

Today, I get called into a meeting with her and my uber-boss and after they repeatedly stressed the Gravity Of The Situation and me signing the write-up, they said I would be given a one-day suspension tomorrow.

So for taking time off......they gave me time off.....

• Heart 1

I took off from 12/18 - 1/5. By using vacation time in conjunction with the holidays, I was able to string together 16 days in a row, off. The day I left, I filled out the form and emailed it to my supervisor.

Or so I thought.

Turns out I f'ed up something in Outlook and it sat in my outbox. They tried calling me on the 29th, but since I thought they wanted me to come in, I didn't answer.

Yesterday I got frog-marched down to HR and got read the riot act. I explained what had happened. Not sure if they believed me or not. I was told my uber-boss would be making the call as to what to do with me. Apparently I wasn't penitent enough because as I was leaving the HR bitch (I'd call her what she really is, but if FY were to read this, she'd get offended) said "Well, you're saying you're sorry, but your body language is saying you're not..." I turned to her and said: "It was an honest mistake. I did something dumb not something wrong..."

Today, I get called into a meeting with her and my uber-boss and after they repeatedly stressed the Gravity Of The Situation and me signing the write-up, they said I would be given a one-day suspension tomorrow.

So for taking time off......they gave me time off.....

I'd ask that the suspension happen on Friday.  Explain to them that you would like to extend the next weekend as well.  I'm sure they'll cooperate.

This sort of thing happened to me many years ago.  Before the internet.  I was sick for three days and I thought I had let them know,  The message never got through and they never tried to call.  I came in after the 3 days and came "this close" to being fired.

I'd ask that the suspension happen on Friday.  Explain to them that you would like to extend the next weekend as well.  I'm sure they'll cooperate.

This sort of thing happened to me many years ago.  Before the internet.  I was sick for three days and I thought I had let them know,  The message never got through and they never tried to call.  I came in after the 3 days and came "this close" to being fired.

article-0-0C24D8BB000005DC-894_634x498.j

So does this mean that you still have your vacation time since you technically did not use it? 

Put in for another vacation and tell that twatwaffle that body language is only used for getting laid, not apologizing! 

So does this mean that you still have your vacation time since you technically did not use it?

No, they paid me for it - otherwise they would have to give back the vacation days. Either they're vacation days and you're going to pay me for them or not pay me and I can use them later.

If they were smart, they would have not paid me for the holidays. That way, I'd be out four days pay and not get a "bonus" day off.

Even if the message sat in your outbox it still should have a time/stamp on it that would show your intentions were in the right place.

I find the comment about 'body language' rather interesting.  I wonder what part of the company HR manual (assuming there is one) stipulates what action management can take based on 'body language'.

I find the comment about 'body language' rather interesting.  I wonder what part of the company HR manual (assuming there is one) stipulates what action management can take based on 'body language'.

She's a piece of work. Total power trip. She's the first HR director in 25+ years (there have been 5 others) who has felt it necessary for HR to get their own parking spaces. (Other than motorcycle and gimp spots, there are no other designated parking spots.Not even the Site Manager). She actually tried to keep a uniformed Sheriff's Deputy -who was trying to serve papers on someone- out of the building because our company manual says "no firearms".

I think I was supposed to grovel or get confrontational, but I did neither. I was as neutral and as professional as possible, which I knew would irritate her.

Then I cannot suggest that on some holiday weekend when no one is at the plant, someone pull up those signs and pound them back into the ground at the part of the parking lot furthest from the building.  No, I cannot suggest that.

Well that would entail moving the guard rail too. Not an insurmountable obstacle, just more of a challenge.

You need a new job my friend.

Yeah, kinda. Had an offer from a place in CT last March, turned it down. More money, but absolutely ludicrous hours. Just got asked to come for an interview at a place in Virginia Beach, but don't really want to move. Had hoped to get in the middle of the herd and keep my head down for another 6-7 years, but the place gets more gulag-like every day.

Can we play snowshoe volleyball on your day off?

I offered to host this year, but I think after 20+ years it's lost its luster. Turnout at my sister's last year was pretty poor.

Given the temps and wind chills, skiing probably isn't an option and I'm not sure about the fatbike, but I can always get stuff done around here.

Well that would entail moving the guard rail too. Not an insurmountable obstacle, just more of a challenge.

A guardrail!  Goodness, then I certainly would not suggest that this presents a unique opportunity for someone take a car battery, attach some welding cables, and weld the posts with those HR signs to that guardrail.

It's fun to think about what people's faces would look like once they saw them, anyway.

Well I went out and pondered my transgressions on the bike for a while. It was a learning/growing experience.

I learned that if I'm going to ride in 17 degree weather, with 15 MPH winds, I'm going to need a baklava*. My cheeks froze. I also now know what that line in Aqualung was all about: "....When the ice that clings onto your beard was screaming agony.."

I also learned that I need to be more careful when doing PVC glue joints because two of them spontaneously deconstructed. (The rack still worked, though.)

I think I'm going to moan, gnash my teeth and beat my breast in remorse in front of the PlayStation now.
Not sure how much more of this penance I can stand....

*yes, I know it's "balaclava". I was being cute

• Heart 1