The story of my trip to the grocery

Parr8hed

I had to go to the store today.  My wife made me buy her these green things.  That made me feel nauseated.

A6A48D04-6B25-47F2-BF3D-BA3B535A108B.jpg

It must have been senior appreciation day today.  Every.  Single.  Thing. I needed there was an old person standing in front of.  Everything.  Completely oblivious that they were blocking the isle and the stuff that I needed to get.  Every label must be read, re-read and compared.  This made me feel frustrated.

5631FF79-B63B-4D3E-B719-7E9C49A4E60D.jpg

And then you had this stupid head. It's not enough that she was going as slow as possible unloading her crap and carrying on a conversation with the cashier...she had to answer her phone and stop everything to carry on a conversation.  If that were not bad enough, she used her call waiting to take ANOTHER call!  This made me angry. 

C01C34B7-A47A-46D3-BE60-620D59BB4964.jpg

There were 3 old people behind me.  Finally a cashier came to open another lane and the 3 old people behind me took their walkers and their hover-rounds to that lane.  Didn't bother to check with me since I was the next in line and had been waiting on phone-yapper for 5 minutes.  They all 3 got done before I did and then proceeded to stop in front of me on the way out of the store to put their gloves on and bitch about the freezing 34 degree temps.  This made me nauseated, frustrated and angry.

I finally made it home and had lunch,.  This made me happy.

You wouldn't last a day here if you can't tolerate the old farts. I live a stones throw from Sun City (believe me, I've thrown stones...), so this is and everyday occurrence in stores and on the road. In addition, we get a huge influx of 'Snowbirds' this time of year that about triples the problem. I think there show be a hunting season dedicated to them. I could bag my limit without ever leaving the front yard...

I generally enjoy grocery shopping, except for all the other people.  And surely they don't need to be old to be inconsiderate.

I'd probably volunteer to pay a bit of a premium if I could be the only customer in the store.  (To some extent I could accomplish this shopping late at night - but there's no deli/seafood staff, bakery stuff is stale, etc.)

I worked at a supermarket in high school - generally I hated it, especially running a cash register.  Hell, I was happier mopping up spilled juice than interacting with customers who were certain the scanner was rigged.  Most of the stores in the area were open 24 hours - I don't really know if the stores around me are open all night now.

I'm impressed that your grocery store has two people to bag groceries in addition to the check out person.  That's an impressive amount of staff.

I'm betting that is only for the old folk rush. Get them in and back home before everyone else leaves work for the day. It's a safety issue :)

I do my shopping half an hour before publix closes. In and out quick like. At least I try and do it that way. Usually it ends up being sunday afternoon and every over dressed mom, stylish hopster, and overly muscled asshat is there. I live in a swanky neighborhood.
They all are rushing for the organic, free range breads, the gluten free buffalo, the hybrid tomato/pumpkins and whatever else Oprah or Dr. Oz said was now healthy.

I just wanna buy my cheetos and sausages in peace.

• Heart 1

51 ain't that young.

The funny thing is that I am like that now in the grocery store if I am really tired or really sick.  Grocery stores can be very surreal places.  They also have baffling arrays of seemingly identical items.

So I am already warmed up for being just like that.

I saw Soylent Green a couple of weeks ago, and have wanted to use that image since then.  It is Tuesday, it fit the thread.

• Heart 1