Cycling in Cancun

Square Wheels

Ignoring the hassle and cost of getting our bikes to Cancun, have any of you recently ridden on the roads there? It looks like a nice place to ride with miles of coastal roads. 

Again, I'm not worried about the cost of getting the bikes there, just want to know if the roads are "safe" for cycling, and if it's safe to cycle outside of the resort areas.

In a word, no. I stayed in a resort in Playa del Carmen, wonderful place. But if you traveled beyond the government controlled tourist areas your met by road blocks and officiales touting mp5 submachine guns.

It can be a very dangerous place. I would be wary. I stayed at the resort, played football with a local team during their practice, road dirt bikes, scuba, and toured the ruins but I never went anywhere witho8t it being resort sanctioned.

Other countries I have had no qualms trekking alone. But Mexico is not as safe as it used to be.

If you want exotic locale, beautiful areas to ride and tropical you really can't beat: bike st. Lucia

http://www.bikestlucia.com

I did it when we did a cruise there a few years ago. Much fun, nice bikes and excellent staff. I only wish I had more than a few hours. When we went back to st. Lucia to stay at Ti Kaye resort we didn't get a chance to bIke again, too much scuba, but both are highly recommended.