So, do you remember reading Lord of the Flies?

MoseySusan

What I remember most is the scene where Simon crawls out of the bushes and the other boys kill him because they're all hopped up on tribalism and chanting for the kill that they don't notice until they've slaughtered Simon that he wasn't actually a wild pig.

Other than that scene, I didn't remember much of anything else.  

Oh, the British officer telling Ralph to man up at the end...I remember that.  

What scene from that book has stayed with you?

What I remember most is the scene where Simon crawls out of the bushes and the other boys kill him because they're all hopped up on tribalism and chanting for the kill that they don't notice until they've slaughtered Simon that he wasn't actually a wild pig.

This.

It was a difficult theme.

It just wasn't assigned.  I remember my friends getting assigned the book in 8th grade.  I remember having to read "Old Man and the Sea" while most of my friends read Lord of the Flies.  Maybe we didn't have enough copies of the book for all the 8th graders?

I read it once, of my own volition, probably 20 years ago.  I loved it - I should read it again.

If someone mentions their asthma I like to say "Sucks to your ass-mar!"  

(It would be funny if I've been remembering that line wrong for so many years)

• Heart 1

I'm going to view the most recent film version this weekend and decide whether it would be worth adding to our study of the novel.  I also have one that was made in the '60s..black and white, I think.

There was a black and white move of Lord of the Flies in the 60's...... English I think.  yep, according to IMDB a UK movie made in 1963

Other than that scene, I didn't remember much of anything else.  

Oh, the British officer telling Ralph to man up at the end...I remember that.  

What scene from that book has stayed with you?

I never read it.  I remember not liking the movie, though, for lots of reasons (the recent movie, never saw the really old one).  

I imagine I would like the book.

Didn't read it, watched the movie for school and said good enough.  I hated reading books with a passion when in school because I couldn't even make it half way through a book in the time that was allotted to do so.  Didn't find out until the end of college it was because of having A.D.D.  All through High School I was just considered really smart but lazy.  My how times have changed as now there is an over emphasis on trying to get kids labeled with something.

"Books with impact" has been an interesting conversation this year.  My students have all read the same books throughout the years, but some don't even remember studying what others have called the most powerful book they've ever read.  Similar with my colleagues...I have only a vague recollection of studying Huck Finn, but others say it's the book that convinced them to become English majors.  

I read it in high school, but I remember very little other than I didn't really like it.

I think I remember a scene where one of the boys gets his foot stuck out in waist deep water and can't get free and ends up drowning when the tide comes in.

"Books with impact" has been an interesting conversation this year.  My students have all read the same books throughout the years, but some don't even remember studying what others have called the most powerful book they've ever read.  Similar with my colleagues...I have only a vague recollection of studying Huck Finn, but others say it's the book that convinced them to become English majors.  

What age group are you talking about.  The same year I read 'Old Man and the Sea', I read 'Slaughterhouse 5'.  Slaughterhouse 5 had the bigger impact.  It had naughty parts and for an 8th grader 'naughty' was a powerful incentive to do anything, including reading.

I cant recall when I read Slaughterhouse 5..... .I think it was in college.  I know I saw the movie then.  come the think of it that is the only Vonnegut novel i read

I went on a Vonnegut tear a few years ago, read a whole bunch of them.  Slaughterhouse-5 was good but my favorites were Breakfast of Champions and Cat's Cradle.

Cat's Cradle is one of my Vonnegut favorites.  I read The Sirens of Titan again last summer because Vonnegut cross-applies details from SoT to his short story "Harrison Bergeron" (which is part of my curriculum).

Today's Lord of the Flies discussion was about the "seeds of humanity" literary motif.  That the boys are transported to a new land in a pod and left to grow at the mercy of natural forces connects this novel to many other human origin stories.