So post a healthy favorite meal that you make

petitepedal

I'm beginning to feel better and longing to hit the grocery store for some veggies and well..just to have something that has flavor and isn't soup.

Like so many have have healthy eating goals and exercise goals for 2015 and I will be getting a late start...I don't expect I should start the treadmill until I am done with the drugs....well...at least until I am down to 1 every other day...so at least 5 more days.  But gee I am ready to work the diet :nod head:   Probably comes from all the cooking shows.

So do you have a go to healthy dinner you like to make?  What is it?

Bring two cups chicken broth to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and stir in 1/3 cup pearl barley and 2/3 cup quinoa.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  In another pot, heat a tblsp olive oil and add slices of garlic and ginger.  When the garlic and ginger begin to brown, remove from pan and add some chopped onion (1/2 a medium), a rib of celery and half a green bell pepper, both chopped.  Cook until vegetable soften and add some thyme, rosemary, black pepper, white pepper and red pepper.  Remove from heat.  When grains are cooked and liquid absorbed combine the two pots into one and stir well.  Add your choice of cooked protein to make a balanced meal.  Or not, it's your dinner.  I added some cooked bacon to mine and had that for lunch today; very tasty.

blanche brussell sprouts. Peel them to leaves. Make cold salad with them, goat cheese, cranberries, pancetta, thin sliced red onion, lemon vinegarette.

Make rice in a batch. Put in frdige. Stir fry anything you have. Heat a scoop of rice throw stir fry on top. Repeat tomorrow and it is easy because rice is already cooked and only needs to be reheated. Use brown rice.

• Heart 1

Yum...I have a couple of things to work on!!

I did buy a chuck roast today....I don't think I have purchased one in a year or maybe two...the price went up and...well I just didn't bother.  But the local store by work has good meat and they had chuck roast on sale...So I hope to do carrots, parsnips and the roast along with mashed potatoes this weekend...a real treat.  But I also hope to pick up a few "for the week" groceries.  :nod head:    Thanks for the suggestions.