Quick and easy

Road Runner

I've seen something similar mounted on the front of a large piece of equipment. It was used to do site prep before planting trees. A lot of our contractors do whole tree chipping for fuel chips. Most run machines like this:

My local tree removal guys had chippers, but nothing that massive.  Mostly, the residential companies around here only use them for the limbs.  The main trunk still has to be cut up and hauled away.  I had guys showing up in bunches to get the hardwood from my oak and maple trees.   :)  :nod head:  

I couldn't imagine what the clean up would be like though.  To do a decent clean up, not sure it would actually save you time.

I thought about that too.  Either you are cutting down a tree where leaving the mulch where it lands isn't a big deal, or I suppose you could put down a huge plastic tarp or something to catch most of the chips and residue.   :dontknow:

My local tree removal guys had chippers, but nothing that massive.  Mostly, the residential companies around here only use them for the limbs.  The main trunk still has to be cut up and hauled away.  I had guys showing up in bunches to get the hardwood from my oak and maple trees.   :)  :nod head:  

The bigger ones used on our sales can take up to a 36 inch diameter tree. 30 seconds later it's nothing but chips in the back of a trailer.

We have a guy that comes out once a year with one of those big Morbark type grinders to chip all of our landscape waste.

But for clearing a field we bought one of these. You need to know what you're doing because one of the guys had a 5" tree trunk come through the front glass of the tractor. Even with a heavy duty screen in place :o .

I couldn't imagine what the clean up would be like though.  To do a decent clean up, not sure it would actually save you time.

I would imagine the liability and workers' comp insurances are much lower for laborers raking up the wood chips on the ground than up in a tree juggling chain saws.  I would guess you might pay the guys raking less than the ones that have to climb into the tree.  That said, the savings would have to be pretty sizable to pay for a machine like that.

I had guys showing up in bunches to get the hardwood from my oak and maple trees.   :)  :nod head:  

So, you had guys showing up in bunches asking for your wood. 

:whistle:

• Heart 1

I have seen the aftermath of one of those tree grinders in use at a local scout camp.  It is ugly.  Left large pieces of shredded tree everywhere, as well as some pretty nasty stumps.  Made the area basically useless as a tent camping site.

I could see it being used as step 1 of a multi step process, but not as a single step solution.

I would imagine the liability and workers' comp insurances are much lower for laborers raking up the wood chips on the ground than up in a tree juggling chain saws.  I would guess you might pay the guys raking less than the ones that have to climb into the tree.  That said, the savings would have to be pretty sizable to pay for a machine like that.

So, you had guys showing up in bunches asking for your wood. 

:whistle:

I love the commercial where the guy wants the chain saw juggler to give him a few. :D - "I got this." :D