Cortisone shot to the spine/nerve

kingtermite

Going to get a cortisone shot to a lumbar disc area today to try to alleviate pain with what is believed to be a pinched (or otherwise inflamed) nerve. God I hope this works as I've been mostly horizontal for weeks. Wish me luck...I've heard nothing but praise for thi procedure.

Going to get a cortisone shot to a lumbar disc area today to try to alleviate pain with what is believed to be a pinched (or otherwise inflamed) nerve. God I hope this works as I've been mostly horizontal for weeks. Wish me luck...I've heard nothing but praise for thi procedure.

i've had a few of those shots.

The first ones were almost painless when the doctor was giving them, but hurt like hell for a few days afterward.
The next series of shots was the opposite.

I never needed a third treatment.
  • Heart 1

God I hope this works as I've been mostly horizontal for weeks.

There is a whole class of ladies and gentleman that make excellent money in that very same position.  However, I'm getting the impression you haven't gone to college nor had the training for that profession, so here's wishing the shot works well for you.

So...how did you hurt yourself to begin with? It wasn't professional football, was it?

Was having long term issues in low back and glute area for months (seems to all point back to a bad left knee) on the left side. Things did seem to be improving, but I think I did something to pinch a nerve during the move. Which is ironic as I did very little of the moving myself.

Was having long term issues in low back and glute area for months (seems to all point back to a bad left knee) on the left side. Things did seem to be improving, but I think I did something to pinch a nerve during the move. Which is ironic as I did very little of the moving myself.

I have a bad disk in my back that flares up periodically, along with my other back issues.  I have "hurt" it on many occasions by lifting heavy objects but also by just doing simple movements, like bending over to pick up a piece of trash in my yard.  No matter how careful I am, it still goes "out" from time to time, hurts for a few weeks or months, and then gradually gets better.

I'm out now. Doctor said it was a pretty big "herniation". Supposedly they gave me a sedative, but but not enough to knock me out because they need to communicate with me for procedure. I have no memory of anything after that sedative they put in my IV though.

Didn't feel much immediately. Still hurts # but a smoother and more consistent pain. Should take a day or two for the cortisone to kick in.

I should know more over the next few days. In car on the way home now.

i've had a few of those shots.

The first ones were almost painless when the doctor was giving them, but hurt like hell for a few days afterward.
The next series of shots was the opposite.

I never needed a third treatment.

My wife has had her second shot and is following up with PT.

She herniated a disc over a year ago and didn't seek treatment until she was practically bedridden. Been a long few months but I believe her recovery is in sight.

Good luck KT! Remember don't be a hero for the next few days, take it easy.

• Heart 1

I'm out now. Doctor said it was a pretty big "herniation". Supposedly they gave me a sedative, but but not enough to knock me out because they need to communicate with me for procedure. I have no memory of anything after that sedative they put in my IV though.

Didn't feel much immediately. Still hurts # but a smoother and more consistent pain. Should take a day or two for the cortisone to kick in.

I should know more over the next few days. In car on the way home now.

it sounds familiar.

It takes a few days to take effect.

I hope one treatment is all you need, but 2 or 3 is more common.

I hope one treatment is all you need, but 2 or 3 is more common.

Really? I haven't heard that from anyone I've talked to. It seem like it always works, but the question is for how long. Some people can have it last for only a couple of months, some it will last for a year. The trick is to fix it with PT during that period.