Boston Olympics

Square Wheels

No thanks.

We're on the short list of potential host cities for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

First, are the Olympics even relevant anymore?  Does anyone really care about these sports that only come up every 4 years and now they let professional athletes in?

Boston is a hideous choice.  We're small, have amazing road congestion, spotty public transportation and can't handle an event like this.

I hope they take it somewhere else.

They should find the most God-forsaken location in the world that has a decent climate and build a permanent Olympic venue.  Then every four years, that local economy would get a huge boost and the rest of the world could quit spending a fortune every four years for a bunch of unneeded stadiums and facilities.

I was you about 7 years ago SW.  We had this thing coming called Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics.  In case you forgot.......

I didn't want the Olympics, didn't want to read about them, didn't want to hear about them, wanted to be away when they were on.  When the torch relay started months before the opening ceremonies and ran past my house,  I didn't even go outside to watch it pass.  When my employers told me I had to go to there for the entire time (I was asked to go 5 weeks) I tried to get out of it.

I went because I had to, but as it got closer to opening day and the excitement started to build, it was starting to affect me too.  I saw the torch lit and even though I was not keen before, I was proud for the opportunity to have our country host.  Within three days I called my wife and told her to take the kids out of school and bring them into the middle of it.

Yes traffic was bad, and crowds were thick.   But it was so much FUN!!   We met so many people from around the globe, it truly was a magical time.  I can say now I loved being there, we still talk about our time there.

Just look on the bright side.  If you host, the worlds greatest, and fastest cyclists will be at your doorstep.  Take time off, put a smile on you face and volunteer to hand out flyers, give directions or collect tickets.  The joy and brother/sisterhood you'll feel from people from around the globe may just warm the cockles of your heart.   It did mine.

• Heart 1

I remember the 2010 Winter Olympics also. A lot of money went into the preparations for the games and into promotions around the whole province. Looking back, I'm not sure what it all accomplished, other than possibly making us feel good about ourselves for a while.

I would be pissed if it came to Milwaukee!
I do not like the big music festival they hold here pr even the Harley festival. That time of year when they both go on F's up our roadways and brings inconsiderate Aholes to the city that should not belong here. I could not imagine an event like that could do to us here.