My two favorite albums from 2014....

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

I've seen Stray Birds mentioned here and there but I don't think I heard anything from it.  Rothery is a new one by me.

My two favorite 2014 albums were Jeremy Messersmith's Heart Murmurs, and Elbow's The Take Off And Landing Of Everything.

Really? I know they've toured all over, but didn't think they were really on anyone's radar yet. I've seen them twice, including the release party for the new CD. They're really really good live.'

Rothery is better known as the guitarist for Marillion.

Really? I know they've toured all over, but didn't think they were really on anyone's radar yet. I've seen them twice, including the release party for the new CD. They're really really good live.'

Rothery is better known as the guitarist for Marillion.

3 out of 4 are on WXPN's playlist.  No Marillon or Rothery.  I liked both of yours, Trenton.

The Elbow album is most excellent - listening now. :)  Sounds a little like a blend of Pink Floyd and Yes, but still unique.

No Marillon or Rothery.

The Rothery album is kind of a side project. He teaches at the Guitar Acedemy in Lomdon and this grew out of his work there. I was shocked that I liked an instrumental album as much as I do. He's by far my favorite guitarist - I just love his use of tone and he does some of the most expressive solos ever.

Marillion has been around since the '80's. They did five albums with one singer and 13 (so far) with another. Oddly enough hey're two very different bands. The early stuff is very "proggy" - think early Genesis - and the rest has been....all over the map. They tend toward longer songs with time signature and mood shifts, but there's a lot of pop elements to keep it from "crawling up it's own ass"* which prog can tend to do. (*Quote from Keith Emerson hisself)

Here's one more for you: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LvWgOUMnBNQ