Do you make your own popcorn?

Randomguy

That butter thread has me thinking about this.  I haven't made popcorn (real popcorn, on the stove) in probably 30 years.  I remember it tasting far, far better than the air-popped or microwave types, was I wrong?  Should I buy some popcorn kernels?  

I should buy some popcorn kernels, right?

I did until just a few years ago, when we got a glass top stove.  Even then I didnt pop as much because it seemed that the kernels were drier.

Why did you get a glass top stove?  Did you end up liking it or hating it?

I dig the gas, you can see your heat level, and I think that is vital for me.

Why did you get a glass top stove?  Did you end up liking it or hating it?

I dig the gas, you can see your heat level, and I think that is vital for me.

That was the stove mrs_az_cyclist wanted.  by and large she is happy with it.  I do miss my old style popcorn though.  I even made my own carmel corn for Christmas

I used to, but the pan I used wore out.  I would put the popcorn and the oil in the pan and then shake the pan on the burner on high heat.

After that, I would melt butter on the stove (actually in a pot on the stove) and then pour the melted butter over the freshly popped corn.

Then add fine Kosher salt and shake one last time.

Way back in the day, my uncle used to work the concession stand at high school games in the Richardson Ind. School District.  He would get us the prepacked popcorn and seasoned oil that they used in the concession machines. Made it the same way,  Open pack, pour corn and seasoned oil in pot, cover, place on high heat and shake until corn was popped.

Now I air pop the corn, then add the melted butter and salt.

That butter thread has me thinking about this.  I haven't made popcorn (real popcorn, on the stove) in probably 30 years.  I remember it tasting far, far better than the air-popped or microwave types, was I wrong?  Should I buy some popcorn kernels?  

I should buy some popcorn kernels, right?

Yes.  That microwave crap is full of crap and is bad for you.  It is also full of crap.

I keep a jar of this in my cabinet all the time.  

orville-redenbacher-gourmet-popcorn-jar3

By making your own, you are talking about even growing it in your garden... or buying it and then making it... 

I grew some last year and it was worth it... but you really do not get enough from about 20 cornstalks. This year We are thinking about planting more (around 40)