First real bread I ever made from scratch

Randomguy

Yay!  It looks really good. 

You were liberal with the flour.  Did you use their method of turning it onto a tea towel with flour?  I don't go that way.  I put mine in a heavily greased bowl for the last rest. It just slides right out.

I didn't have a tea towel, so I laid it on some doubled-up paper towels for a rest, then turned it onto some parchment paper after putting some wheat bran on first to ensure slidyness.  Parchment/dough went into the preheated dutch oven and into the oven at roughly 450 degrees.  I didn't know how much of everything I would need, so I may have overdone it a bit with the flour and wheat bran, but it was fine.

The bread was very good, at least as good as bread from a middling bakery, but shy of the bread masters out there.  Not bad for a first effort, though, I will take it.  I used way more yeast than some of the recipes called for, a bit more salt, and 1/3 whole wheat flour and 2/3 all-purpose, and let it sit out from midnight last night until it went in the oven at 5:45.  I ate a lot, with lots of butter and the nice pasta sauce I made to go with the farro linguini.

I will experiment further.

• Heart 3

I didn't have a tea towel, so I laid it on some doubled-up paper towels for a rest, then turned it onto some parchment paper after putting some wheat bran on first to ensure slidyness.  Parchment/dough went into the preheated dutch oven and into the oven at roughly 450 degrees.  I didn't know how much of everything I would need, so I may have overdone it a bit with the flour and wheat bran, but it was fine.

The bread was very good, at least as good as bread from a middling bakery, but shy of the bread masters out there.  Not bad for a first effort, though, I will take it.  I used way more yeast than some of the recipes called for, a bit more salt, and 1/3 whole wheat flour and 2/3 all-purpose, and let it sit out from midnight last night until it went in the oven at 5:45.  I ate a lot, with lots of butter and the nice pasta sauce I made to go with the farro linguini.

I will experiment further.

I had a problem with needing too much flour for the last rest. That towel method forces you to use a shit ton of flour on the towel.  I do not like biting into a piece of bread that has too much resting flour on the outside. It makes that bite taste like raw flour. This is why I use the greased bowl method.  

It is neato that you are makin food all Julia Child like and stuff,  

I miss baking bread.  No kids at home and bread is not high on the list of foods I want to eat.  I always liked to experiment with flax seed, whole wheat, oatmeal, corn meal and even chia seed.  I don't think I ever made a loaf of bread I didn't like.  Dirtyhip, what do you grease your bowl with?  I always used spray or olive oil.  My mom used Chrisco but that was before we knew that crap wasn't good for you.

I miss baking bread.  No kids at home and bread is not high on the list of foods I want to eat.  I always liked to experiment with flax seed, whole wheat, oatmeal, corn meal and even chia seed.  I don't think I ever made a loaf of bread I didn't like.  Dirtyhip, what do you grease your bowl with?  I always used spray or olive oil.  My mom used Chrisco but that was before we knew that crap wasn't good for you.

Yeah, and does the bread just pop out of your dutch oven, no burning or sticking or whatnot?  Bread is gone, I am making pork stew tonight.

Yeah, and does the bread just pop out of your dutch oven, no burning or sticking or whatnot?  Bread is gone, I am making pork stew tonight.

I never used a dutch oven, just a regular oven.  For something conventional looking for slicing for sandwiches I baked it in a bread pan and it always came out just fine as it cooled upside down on a cooling rack.  A lot of bread I just baked on a baking sheet/cookie sheet.  I never baked at high temps, usually I bake most everything at 350

mmmm,  I like making homemade bread from scratch. It's out of the oven w/ butter.

I let it rest this time, just like all the experts said.  Screw that, the experts are wrong, next time it comes out of the oven and gets sliced, buttered, and dipped in sauce immediately!  Oh, hell yeah!

• Heart 1