People suck

SuzieQ

My poor daughter got home early yesterday morning from a trip to see her dad in CA, and found her apartment broken in.  They stole everything of value of hers and her bf's.  Cameras, tv's, computers, external hard drives, clothing, shoes, everything!  All her thesis work and any work and photographs of her work are gone.  All her graphic design work, including my logo that she was going to manipulate - gone.  

She stayed with me last night as her bf doesn't get back till today.  Now she has to go back to an apartment with broken glass all over and things turned upside down.  

I know it's just stuff, and I'm grateful that her or her kitty were not home!  and even though it's not, it feels like such a personal assault.

• Heart 1

Sorry to hear that. Did she happen to post on Facebook about the trip before leaving? Seems that there's crooks who look out for those kinds of things.

Yes, that is definitely something to watch out for.  Like that Farmer's Insurance commercial.

Sorry, Suzie - that does indeed suck.  It also makes me wonder what we can do to prepare for such an unfortunate circumstance.

• Heart 1

Boy....so sorry...it takes time just emotionally to recover.   Did she have a neighbor or friend checking on her place for her??  Also timers on lights and radio.   I have a couple of neighbors I chat with...and I make sure they know I am going some place.

So sorry Suzie....give her an extra mom hug or two.   Hope she had insurance  :(

• Heart 1

She may very well have posted on fb about leaving - but I don't think this is why.  She, unfortunately lives in a sketchy neighborhood, and her neighbors are sketchy too!  Her and her bf both have insurance, so that is good.  

• Heart 1

I'm sorry....at least insurance will recover some of the items gone......I hope she had at least some of her thesis backed up somewhere...all that work and all her art stuff....oh man....more hugs being sent!!!

she had all her work, her designs she uses for her etsy art, the design for my logo etc all backed up on an external hard drive which they stole as well!!

Much empathy for your daughter and BF.  I have been burglarized twice and it is a terrible feeling.  The word someone used, "violation", is very appropriate.  These scum go through all your most personal things and just take what they want.  They violate your very existence and being.

This is why I have always had an alarm system in all my homes for the past 30 years.  I highly recommend some sort of alarm system for everyone, especially if you live in a "sketchy" neighborhood.

BTW, your assertion that people suck is a proven fact.  Many scientific and empirical studies have absolutely confirmed this hypothesis to be true.   :(

However, the doctor who came to my aid after my last crash, along with several nurses who cared for me afterwards, inexplicably, did not suck.   :scratch head:

• Heart 1

BTW, your assertion that people suck is a proven fact.  Many scientific and empirical studies have absolutely confirmed this hypothesis to be true.   :(

However, the doctor who came to my aid after my last crash, along with several nurses who cared for me afterwards, inexplicably, did not suck.   :scratch head:

I know.  Honestly most people are not sucky - most people I meet are good!

She may very well have posted on fb about leaving - but I don't think this is why.  She, unfortunately lives in a sketchy neighborhood, and her neighbors are sketchy too!  Her and her bf both have insurance, so that is good.  

Good.

If it's that sketchy, make sure they file a police report.  Maybe someone left fingerprints or something, and the person's already a two-time loser.  A lot of home invasion people aren't that smart.

Also, it can be pretty cheap to hook up an inexpensive camera that sends video footage to the cloud when it detects motion.  Worth looking in to.  Or at least post some sort of security system stickers.

My first place was somewhat sketchy in my twenties; I got a car stereo ripped off (downstairs neighbor switched our outside security light off).  I got an alarm for the car (and made sure the neighbor never turned that light off again) and it never happened again; I wasn't an easy target any more.  Still, for weeks, I'd wake up in the middle of the night and look out the window to where my car was parked.

I hate thieves. So sorry to hear about this SuziQ. Time and effort lost 'cause of some jerk. Plus just the feeling of knowing someone was watching and waiting for the opportunity to steal. Damn....sends creepers down my spine.

Good.

If it's that sketchy, make sure they file a police report.  Maybe someone left fingerprints or something, and the person's already a two-time loser.  A lot of home invasion people aren't that smart.

Also, it can be pretty cheap to hook up an inexpensive camera that sends video footage to the cloud when it detects motion.  Worth looking in to.  Or at least post some sort of security system stickers.

There was a security sticker on the pane of glass that they broke to stick their hand through and unlock the door!

My first place was somewhat sketchy in my twenties; I got a car stereo ripped off (downstairs neighbor switched our outside security light off).  I got an alarm for the car (and made sure the neighbor never turned that light off again) and it never happened again; I wasn't an easy target any more.  Still, for weeks, I'd wake up in the middle of the night and look out the window to where my car was parked.

she called 911 as soon as she realized she had been broken into - told the woman on the phone she was looking around the apartment,  and was told to get out and wait outside!  The cops could not find fingerprints, I think these people knew what they were doing.  She did have some cash in a can and the cops took that to see if they could get anything off it.  

Sorry to hear about this SQ, it sucks.  This happened to my sister a few years ago.  They caught the guy when he sold my niece's gameboy and games to a local shop.  Her name and number was on the gameboy.  The shop called and the cops arrested the burglar.  A local teen with a drug habit.