I would like to live in a cottage in the woods

AirwickWithCheese
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

The cottage would be brick with river rock accents. Flower boxes would be under twin French casement windows. The roof would be tin to maximize the sound of rain.

It would set in a clearing with grass greener than Augusta. Wildflowers would grow everywhere.

The cottage would be in Greenville but unknown to all. I would bicycle into town to buy candy and visit MomCheese. I would be able to leave pies on the window sill.

Sam, Philly Cheese, and Edgar would run and play with our squirrel friends. We'd also have a huge orange cat we'd name Alice. Alice could fly.

From our cottage we could smell bread baking at Claussen's bakery and hear the faint sounds of Main Street.

Alice would fly into town and occasionally get us dinner at Olive Garden.

Our TV would be black and white and Maryland would still be in the ACC.

• Heart 1

That sounds lovely. Will there be a porch swing?

The cottage itself does not have a porch but we would have several swings nestled amongst the flowers and one jutting out over our stream.

We would name our stream after you.

You would visit us many times throughout the year and we would break into Claussen's at night.

Behind our house to the left was a cottage in the woods much like you described.  The owners moved away and after not finding a buyer for the house had an auction and sold it.  The buyer built an addition on the cottage that was way bigger than the original cottage and then they added dormers on the original part.  It is now a five bedroom house, it looks nice but I'm afraid there will eventually be people living there.

• Heart 1

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Nudist don't mind folks watching them but they don't want to offend.  Anyone taking pictures with a drone doesn't have a right to be offended.  Same thing with my helicopter guy.

Not so much that I'd worry about offending someone, but, I as an individual, need my privacy. Naked or not. The idea of a drone trying to catch me sunning my butt, frosts my butt.

• Heart 1

On 1/14/2015 at 10:12 PM, Longjohn said:

Behind our house to the left was a cottage in the woods much like you described.  The owners moved away and after not finding a buyer for the house had an auction and sold it.  The buyer built an addition on the cottage that was way bigger than the original cottage and then they added dormers on the original part.  It is now a five bedroom house, it looks nice but I'm afraid there will eventually be people living there.

...the place I had in the woods here was two bedrooms, and kinda cottagey.  It had a boatload of squirrels, some of the finest wood casement windows money could buy, and was set at the end of a loooong driveway in a clearing more or less in the far end of five acres from the road, which was just a neighborhood road anyway, and dead ended up at the old dump at the top of the hill.  The guy I sold it to added three bedrooms (unpermitted) upstairs, did nothing to expand the septic capacity, cut a lot of essential stringers in the roof joists for headroom, and just generally fucked it up, then flipped it to some guy who eventually walked away from the loan and the house during the mortgage crisis.

Broke my heart, but the guy who finally bought it cheap from the bank is somebody I like, and my daffodil plantings (exstensive) are still there for him.  I guess everything works out for the best.:)

@AirwickWithCheese, it's a lot more work living out in a cottage in the woods than most people suppose.  Especially if you heat with wood. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Pokey said:

Not so much that I'd worry about offending someone, but, I as an individual, need my privacy. Naked or not. The idea of a drone trying to catch me sunning my butt, frosts my butt.

Drone pilots don't want to catch you sunning your butt.  Trust me on this.  

Your friendly neighborhood licensed drone pilot posted this.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

it's a lot more work living out in a cottage in the woods than most people suppose.  Especially if you heat with wood. 

I heat with wood, always have.  Every time I start to think about moving up to the twentieth century and installing central heat someone starts griping about their heating bill. Yikes! By next winter I'll be retired so I should have lots of time to mess with firewood.  It will be a problem if I have health issues that I'm not able to do it.

• Heart 1

• 1 year later...