New Forum Image / Icon

jsharr

:(
This makes me sad.

it shouldn't.

From the Wik.

The swastika (also known as the gammadion cross or cross cramponnée) is a symbol that generally takes the form of an equilateral cross, with its four legs bent at 90 degrees (as a Chinese character: 卐 or 卍).It is considered to be a very sacred and auspicious symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.

Just because some asshat stole the symbol back in the 1930s, the meaning didn't suddenly change.
  • Heart 1

it shouldn't.

From the Wik.

The swastika (also known as the gammadion cross or cross cramponnée) is a symbol that generally takes the form of an equilateral cross, with its four legs bent at 90 degrees (as a Chinese character: 卐 or 卍).It is considered to be a very sacred and auspicious symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.

Just because some asshat stole the symbol back in the 1930s, the meaning didn't suddenly change.

But that asshat really popularized it in a certain way that lots of people don't appreciate.  

Bosox is right - don't let some bad due win - the swastika is very auspicious and is seen all through India.  Take it as what it really is, not as what it was turned into by some maniac. 

This is Ganesha one of the most worshipped deities.

• Heart 1

"The Navajo used the symbol to represent whirling logs.  From http://nativeamericanjewelrytips.wordpress.com/2010/06/10/native-american-symbol-whirling-log-swastika/  it is explained that "Whirling Logs are used in Navajo sand paintings during a healing or other type of ceremony. A sand painting is supposed to be a temporary piece of art which is destroyed after the ceremony is over. However sand painting designs are also used in prints and framed paintings, rugs and on jewelry" (Knapp).

"That guy" who co-opted the symbol has to stop winning people's minds.

• Heart 1

The majority of powerboats could not catch that thing. It will sail in excess of 60 miles per hour. You know that is fast on the water.

60 is fast for a blowboat, but it's NBD for a powerboat.

Some of our rentals were that fast, and all of the PWC were. The Boston Whaler I used to get to repairs on the lake was a 70mph boat.

I've done over 100mph on a bass boat.

Some of our rentals were that fast, and all of the PWC were. The Boston Whaler I used to get to repairs on the lake was a 70mph boat.

I too have seen triple digits and I know that bass boats, PWC, etc will do 60, but the majority of boats sold will not.  I am including ALL boats, not a select few.  Pontoons, the average run about, the average fishing boat and almost every boat over about 30 feet, will not.  I will stand my statement that the majority (anything over 50%) of powerboats will not do 60 mph.

Remember that like you, I was raised on the water, managed a boat rental for years and spent years working at one of the larger boat dealers in Dallas, so I know of what I speak.

My brother in law's dad had an Allison that would do 92 right off the trailer without mods to the hull or motor.  It was a 22 foot bass boat IIRC.  It may not have been that long (TWSS).  But over the years he modded the hell out of the trim tabs, motor, prop, etc to get more MPH.  Why?  I have no idea.  I have no interest in going that fast on a skinny little plank of fiberglass and gelcoat.

I too have seen triple digits and I know that bass boats, PWC, etc will do 60, but the majority of boats sold will not.  I am including ALL boats, not a select few.  Pontoons, the average run about, the average fishing boat and almost every boat over about 30 feet, will not.  I will stand my statement that the majority (anything over 50%) of powerboats will not do 60 mph.

Remember that like you, I was raised on the water, managed a boat rental for years and spent years working at one of the larger boat dealers in Dallas, so I know of what I speak.

I would tend to agree.  Like I said, my little Sea Ray would barely do 40.  And I think it was a pretty standard boat.  18', 140 I/O Merc. 

I would tend to agree.  Like I said, my little Sea Ray would barely do 40.  And I think it was a pretty standard boat.  18', 140 I/O Merc. 

Sox knows I am right, he just likes to argue with me, so he can tell me to pull my head out of my ass and that I am insane and stuff.

• Heart 1

That shape is featured prominently in indigenous artwork throughout the southwest, also. 

Ok, you three, the swastika is gonna get primarily and forever associated with Hitler/nazis.  Yeah, it was used by others, but most people are going to always associate it with nazis killing jews, gays, cripples, and silly-walkers, you just aren't going to change that.  We need more spokes, I suppose, or no spokes in a stylized way.  Or maybe just a graphic without a bike at all.  I don't know.

My brother in law's dad had an Allison that would do 92 right off the trailer without mods to the hull or motor.  It was a 22 foot bass boat IIRC.  It may not have been that long (TWSS).  But over the years he modded the hell out of the trim tabs, motor, prop, etc to get more MPH.  Why?  I have no idea.  I have no interest in going that fast on a skinny little plank of fiberglass and gelcoat.

If you are touranament fishing, the more time you spend running, the less time you spend fishing.  Most tournaments have a shotgun start and you have to be back at a certain time to weigh in.  If you can run 100 versus 70 or 80 or 90, then you can fish longer and still be back in time.

Also, like anything else, it is a pissing contest for men.  We built some insane boats for guys just for bragging rights.

We had a guy bring us a SeaRay Pachanga.  We replaced the engine with a blown Mercruiser 502 and a worked over Bravo 1 drive.  He wanted it to look stock, so we had to have a custom rear cover made of alumimnum to replace the rear deck and give him clearance for the engine.  Had to install a set of 36" long Kiekhafer trim tabs to try and keep it from blowing over at speed.

We also stuck a 300 HP outboard on a jack plate on the back of a Champion bass boat back in the day.  That boat was insanely scary.

boats have changed a lot since the 1970s.

60mph is no big deal anymore.

Either way, this isn't a blow-boating forum, so you logo/icon idea is out.

We had a guy bring us a SeaRay Pachanga. We replaced the engine with a blown Mercruiser 502 and a worked over Bravo 1 drive. He wanted it to look stock, so we had to have a custom rear cover made of alumimnum to replace the rear deck and give him clearance for the engine. Had to install a set of 36" long Kiekhafer trim tabs to try and keep it from blowing over at speed.

boats like that are just stupid IMO.

If he did things the right way, it would be just as fast, more stable, and less likely to grenade.

boats have changed a lot since the 1970s.

60mph is no big deal anymore.

Either way, this isn't a blow-boating forum, so you logo/icon idea is out.

Did not say it was or was not a big deal.  I said the majority of boats sold today cannot do 60.  Not talking about PWC.